2005 LR3 seriously annoying whine from engine....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpbarry58

Reaction score
I have a 2005 LR3 that has recently developed a very piercing whine coming from the engine...doesn't matter if it's in gear or not and it has never felt like the drive train is involved. Said piercing whine seems to originate from the forward driver's side of the engine, maybe a foot down into the bay. I cannot for the life of me find a pulley diagram on Google images for this engine, anybody have any idea what could be the culprit? The A/C and everything works fine, no substantial change in pitch with the A/C compressor clutch engaged or not or hard turns etc. Idler?

Here is a crummy video I shot in my dark garage, if it helps:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical alternator starting to go sound to me. Has it ever been replaced? I have had drive belts do that as well, if they develop enough tiny cracks they start making noise, even if they are still functional.

rpbarry58

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge it has not been replaced...although I still can't find a diagram, I'm under the impression that the alternator is on the passenger side lower? Which isn't where the noise is coming from. There have been no electrical problems or weird engine lights going off and on either.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be your oil filter. If you replaced it with the wrong type or size, or one with less flow than the OEM unit, it will whine just like that. Not unique to Land Rover, true with many vehicles.

kameag

Reaction score
Have not listened to the video yet, but could it be the power steering pump? We had a Ford with the 4L engine that made a loud whine and the fluid was just low. We are getting a similar whine from our LR3 now.

roverca

Reaction score
Been there and it was the alternator. It's a quick fix. I ordered a remanufacturrd one from Roverland

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV