2006 LR3 4.0L V6 CHECK ENGINE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hans12654

Reaction score
Hello all,
My first Land Rover with 125K on the clock with perfect interior/exterior. So I spend the summer completely rebuilding the entire suspension converting to polyethylene bushings and spring loaded struts removing the air lift system. During the summer my check engine light pops on so I replaced both left a right downstream o2 sensors. After a quick jaunt down the road check engine goes out and stayed out. This September I take a trip to South Carolina from Connecticut and back. After returning 1 day the check engine light comes on again. After reading code it tells me upstream o2 sensor lean. Before I bought the replacement sensors I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and checked for any crack hoses, changed the air filter, plugs and wires. Cleared the code and after cpl hours the light comes back on. I take the plunge and changed both upstream o2 sensors and again drive down the highway and the light goes out on its own. Yea, I proudly go home to the wife touting how smart I am that the light went out. My celebration was premature because the next day light is back. I decide to replace mass air flow sensor because its original and wouldn't hurt under $100 but this still did not solve the problem. There are some videos showing valve cover replacement diaphragms but my 6cyl doesn't appear to have them. They are on v8 Land and Range Rovers. The only thing left that I can think of is the EGR valve. It looks old and rusty and a possible source of the leak but hate the thought of another $300 only to be dissapointed and again the sense of defeat. I also thought of an ECM Update? Does anybody have insight on this dragon I've been battling? Would really appreciate help on this, thanks.

Anthony Roote

Reaction score
Hi Hans,

I have the same year and engine. Have you been able to check all the wires to the o2 sensors. I had similar issues and it was a bad wire. That said you can use an aftermarket or a ford EGR valve, they are really cheap. Can't remember the part off the top of my head but I replaced mine and it sorted out a lot of problems.

Good luck

Hans12654

Reaction score
Thanks for responding Anthony. During the summer I replaced downstream with Ebay Chinese replacement and after 10 miles of driving the light went out and had no light until my long trip months later. The OBD 2 scan gave me upstream lean codes and since I had success with the downstream I ordered from same vendor. My wiring is perfect and zero defects. The truck had been garaged all its life from previous owner and lucky me, in pristine condition. The sensors I just replaced were exact length and plug fitment. After installation and maybe 5 miles down the road, check engine light went out. Very satisfying moment until it came back on the next day. After some online investigation im giving the exhaust a smoke test on Tuesday to check for leaks at the catalytic converter that could cause a lean code. In the end if we can't find any obvious defect I will try extra washers on the new sensors to pull away from the most direct exhaust exposure. Its not my first choice to resolve this problem but can't update my registration if it won't pass emissions test. Later Im gonna do a performance upgrade on my exhaust next summer to beef it up . I will replace with low restriction cats and give it nice sounding mufflers welding all connections and hopefully eliminate this annoying issue. I will check the thread you sent and get back to you. Thanks for your input and time, its appreciated. :)

Hans12654

Reaction score
Hey just checked the egr thread and yes mine is a Ford EGR so I'm not a fan of replacing parts without confirming part failure but as u know its not always easy to pin the problem down. I will check the price and see if worth laying the cash out. I feel my EGR is wrkn cuz as soon as I disconnect the vacuum line it immediately begins to rumble and stall. But ur right the map is part of the unit and it could b that simple. I will let u know how things turn out and regardless of the outcome, u taught me something I didn't know. I owe u a cold one! Thanks Tony

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72