2006 LR3 HSE: Replacing Front Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a good thread or video available that shows step-by-step, how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a good thread or video available that shows step-by-step, how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
There are several YouTube videos that will walk you through the process. The biggest thing is make sure you have the proper tools for simple removal and saws or a grinder for the tougher rusted bolts. Pre-soak everything a week before you plan on replacing them and make sure you have all the parts needed.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed!

I watched a few videos on replacing them.
One of the videos looked time-consuming, but straightforward.
However, the other one showed what happens when things don't move so smoothly. They pretty much lost me when they had to take out an air-driven disc to cut the control arm away to get better access, all due to rusted bolts!
The owner of my Rover shop complained about significant rust hindering their progress when they had to address other replacements in that area, a few months ago.

Any idea what a reasonable cost estimate would be, assuming the rusted bolts also need to be replaced?

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed!

I watched a few videos on replacing them.
One of the videos looked time-consuming, but straightforward.
However, the other one showed what happens when things don't move so smoothly. They pretty much lost me when they had to take out an air-driven disc to cut the control arm away to get better access, all due to rusted bolts!
The owner of my Rover shop complained about significant rust hindering their progress when they had to address other replacements in that area, a few months ago.

Any idea what a reasonable cost estimate would be, assuming the rusted bolts also need to be replaced?
I was quoted $1400 including alignment for both lower control arms. I will do most things except engine work, the special tools required is a deal breaker lol.

Greg9504

Reaction score
I did the front arms, in the winter, outside, in about 5 hours. That included new rotors/pads, one tie rod, stabilizer sway bar end links, and one side stabilizer sway bar mount.

Grinder with cut off disks, and sawzall with Diablo CARBIDE blades various lengths. You need the carbide blades to cut through the bolts. Also handy to have a large 3 jaw puller in case the axles are stuck in the knuckle.

Your alignment may be off enough to throw the car into panic mode. Where all the warning lights go on and the car lowers to the bump stops on the drive over to the garage. Shutting it off and restarting will air it back up so the alignment can be done.

Being in Texas you may get lucky and everything just comes apart as it should. My arms were replaced 4 years previous, I was able to get the front bolts on both sides out by hitting the bolt with a metal rod/hammer. The rear bolts there isn't enough room to pound on them so they needed to be cut. Cutting the arm helps to gain access to get tool into area to cut the bolt.

lr3lowerremoved.jpg

maxx4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also as a side note - heat is your friend...adding a little heat to the bolts and/or axle housings can make stuff move a little easier too. I was lucky and my bolts weren't too bad - I did use an air chisel bit with a pointy end to drive those rear bolts out so I didn't have to pound at weird angles but for me it was all very doable - takes some time - maybe 6 hrs. or so - I also replaced both front half shafts while I was in there because why not (but my truck also has 140K so it was just a maintenance thing anyhow).

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
There are several YouTube videos that will walk you through the process. The biggest thing is make sure you have the proper tools for simple removal and saws or a grinder for the tougher rusted bolts. Pre-soak everything a week before you plan on replacing them and make sure you have all the

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Hi, I’ve just replaced both rear upper and lower arms on my discovery 3. I went in the end for Polybushes as my Land Rover parts supplier told me the discovery 3 and 4 can chew these bushes up in a matter of 5 years or less. I went for the Polybushes as these last much longer. The bolts securing your control arms to you chassis do sometimes become seized and the only was of removing these bolts is by heating them to above 600 degrees C or by cutting through them with a electric saw. Be prepared to go through many saw blades when trying to cut through them. I also replaced all the flexible brake hoses while I replaced the arms as this will save you time and money in the future. You will need many tools to do this job
1/ A torque wrench capable of torques of 300 NM
2/ 32mm socket
3/ 22mm,21mm, 18mm Sockets and spanner’s.
You will also need something to push the front drive shafts back though the wheel bearings. A lot of these YouTube videos state it takes only a few hours to replace these arms. I would give yourself 2 complete weekends at least to get this job done by yourself. It took me 21/2 weekends to replace the rear suspension arms, the flexible hoses and all the discs, Pads and rear brake shoes. This job can be done by anyone but be prepared for many obstacles.

Worxman

Reaction score
I just did this as well, my bolts all came off since the truck was a TX truck and is now in GA. Not a task for the faint of heart, you will need pivot adaptors to get to a couple of bolts. I do almost all my own work on our cars, have all the tools, took me about 4 hours to do the from lower control arms, rotors and pads, and sway arm bushings. Watch the videos on YouTube prior to starting so you are prepared. I used the Atlantic British pre-assembled arms with the green bushings and I like them.

s3hooligan

Reaction score
I must have been lucky because a friend and I R&R’d the lower control arms on my 06 LR3 in a couple hours...about 45 minutes per side. Fortunately none of the bolts were seized so we didn’t need to cut or heat anything. My friend is a mechanic for a living so he didn’t spend much time trying to figure out what needed to be done. I’ll also add that we used a lift to do the work. I was really expecting it to be more difficult but it was relatively straightforward.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV