2006 LR3 Starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicpix

Reaction score
This forum has been awesome and helped me a lot from reading other people's issues related to my own.

I do have an issue that I can't figure out. Randomly, but usually in the morning when I turn the ignition, the truck fails to "catch" when starting. I get a very short burst at an attempt to try to turn over, but nothing. I usually have to try a few more times, slowly, and it will start. P0340 and P0345 codes. It was at a point where I parked it for a few days and drove another vehicle. Cleared the fault codes and haven't seen them since.

Battery is about 9 months old and was tested...seems fine. Alternator is a couple years old but is charging well. Replaced the starter motor relay, seemed to work good for about 5 days, then began acting up again. With the P0340 codes I ordered a new sensor, but haven't installed it. I read here to try battery connections. Cleaned them, seemed fine for a few days, them acted up again. My mechanic looked at it yesterday and thinks it's the ignition switch.

Vehicle started fine this morning, but got a series of dash lights...see photo.

I'm guessing now it's either the ignition switch....which I hope it's not, the starter solenoid, or the starter itself.

Any recommendations on which rabbit hole to travel down next is greatly appreciated.

2006 LR3 HSE 4.4 about 240,000 KM

IMG_20200220_0844006.jpg

LVDaytripper

Reaction score
Did you try installing the cam position sensor yet? Also, the lights in the photo is referred to as the "three amigos" do a search using the Land Rover LR3 three amigos and you should point you in the right direction

anglotron

Reaction score
I had a P0345 camshaft position sensor error a few weeks ago when my LR3 also failed to ‘catch’ on starting. Definitely not a bad sensor and down to low battery voltage.

In my case, one of my front struts was leaking air causing the compressor to run way more than usual and as a result my battery was never fully charged.

The only other time I’ve experienced a failed catch is when the battery needed replacing and it threw up a bunch of random errors.

Last edited:

sonicpix

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm aware the the dreaded three amigos. I've had them before and they usually go away when I restart, as they did this time. I 'haven't had an issue with the vehicle not "catching' since this post. However a few days ago I got the P0340 code, cleared it, and haven't gotten it again. I haven't tried the sensor yet, it's on the front passenger seat ready to be installed. From what I can see it should be pretty easy.

The battery seems ok. When I started it a few time the voltage was over 15. I loaded the battery and it seems ok, but when it failed to catch a week later, the voltage was back over 15v for a short while (5 min maybe) and it's back to normal. The battery is about 10 months old.

Anyone think it's the ignition switch? I sure hope it's not that.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suffering same issue, ordered a crank position sensor and will install this weekend. I don't have the 3 amigos but simply it turns over but fails to start. Sometimes it starts on the first try, sometimes 5th, sometimes I go back after a couple of hours and it starts. Sometimes it starts, runs a secone roughly and then dies.

sonicpix

Reaction score
Well.....it's been a few weeks and I've had no starting issues. Maybe try the connection at the starter motor to see if it's not corroded?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm spinning over fine, it's like I'm not getting any fuel to the injectors. My Jeep buddy is sure it's a crank position sensor so we'll find out this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut