2006 Range Rover iPod/Aux. Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I've got a 2006 Range Rover. I'm currently using the Sirius satellite, but I would like to add an Aux input for my iPod. I've searched the forums regarding any information on this and haven't come to any good conclusions.

Has anyone been able to make an Aux. input? I'm not interested in paying $500 for the DICE system or anything like that. Also, I would prefer to be able to control the iPod via the iPod.

If no one does know of a way to create an Aux input, does anyone know what the radio antenna plug looks like, or what kind it is? That way, I'd just put in a FM modulator, so it's still hard-wired in.

Anyone here have any success, and not have to give an arm to get it working? Hard to believe the Range, top of the line model doesn't have an Aux input. The LR3 and RRS have had them since 2005...

Thanks for the help.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have. I find it very difficult to find what I'm looking for. Gives me a headache trying to decipher everything.

Does anyone know what the radio antenna plug in the back of the radio looks like? Is it the standard long round looking plug?

Last edited:

urlachersbuddy

Reaction score
Hey there,

I've got a 2006 Range Rover. I'm currently using the Sirius satellite, but I would like to add an Aux input for my iPod. I've searched the forums regarding any information on this and haven't come to any good conclusions.

Has anyone been able to make an Aux. input? I'm not interested in paying $500 for the DICE system or anything like that. Also, I would prefer to be able to control the iPod via the iPod.

If no one does know of a way to create an Aux input, does anyone know what the radio antenna plug looks like, or what kind it is? That way, I'd just put in a FM modulator, so it's still hard-wired in.

Anyone here have any success, and not have to give an arm to get it working? Hard to believe the Range, top of the line model doesn't have an Aux input. The LR3 and RRS have had them since 2005...

Thanks for the help.
did you ever figure out a solution?

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just figured one out today. If you know what a FM modulator is, you can basically get one of those, and have it hardwired into the radio antenna. That way, you can input anything from a RCA plug.

The antenna is in the back of the car, near where the CD changer is. There are two black cables connected with red block looking connectors to the left of the CD changer. The FM modulator goes in there. You can get the FM Modulator, and converter plugs to convert the antenna to the Land Rover square type, these can be bought as BestBuy.

Plug it all in, hook the positive up, ground the negative, then run a 12ft 3.5mm (headphone cable male on both ends) all the way to the front, under the carpet. I used the Belkin ipod connector. It charges the ipod as well as plays music through it. Then where the Belkin unit plugs into the cigarette lighter, there's a female 3.5mm where the cable you ran plugs in, or plugs into your ipod.

Then wallah! You're done. I can give detailed write-ups if necessary. Otherwise, it's really not that hard if you know basic audio wires etc. The trick for me was finding those plugs for the antenna. But that's where they are.

Let me know if you need help.

tjquill

Reaction score
This is exactly the thread I have been looking for.

Any details on the parts you used (like what FM modulator), etc... would be fantastic, and if you have a few minutes to do a little more detail on how exactly that installs, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, TJ

tmatteson001

Reaction score
If you could send picture too, that would be great. I have a 2005 model, and I'm looking to add basically the same set-up, so photos of your install and details on parts would be great.

silvermilnec

Reaction score
Hi, i wonder if you can help. A friend has just bought a 2006 Vogue with the logic 7 system. I can't believe it doesn't have a simple aux plug. He not bothered about full controll from the head unit but would like to plug his iphone to play his stored music.

From what i've read the modulator seems to be the most cost effective vs sound quality. Can you tell me if you have the logic 7 if not do you know if its still possible and can you get a modulator that plugs into the bottom of the ipod and charges at the same time.

Thanks for any help

:hello:

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FM modulator just allows an audio signal to get broadcasted onto a specific frequency. The units are typically made for the standard round plug. Because the Range Rover has a more squared plug, one needs to just buy the converter from the round to the square. Hook up the positive and negative... and you're read to go.

After the FM modulator is in, you run a cable that's headphone male to two RCA, which is usually what the FM modulator have. Normally the cable it about 6 feet long, so you'll need a headphone extension cable. Run that under the carpet, tune to the radio station you've selected on the modulator (usually 88.3), and boom that it.

I have this device right here. You plug the headphone jack from the cable into the Belkin cigarette part, and that's it. Then you plug the ipod part in, and you've got audio and charging.

Here's the part: Amazon.com: Belkin Auto Charger for iPod (White): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

Let me know if you have questions. This is pretty basic stuff, so google is you friend. If you've got a general idea how this stuff works, you'll be fine. PM me with any specific questions. The car I did this install on was my mothers and she actually no longer has the car. So, I don't remember as many details. Good luck, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

john bubany

Reaction score
Just figured one out today. If you know what a FM modulator is, you can basically get one of those, and have it hardwired into the radio antenna. That way, you can input anything from a RCA plug.

The antenna is in the back of the car, near where the CD changer is. There are two black cables connected with red block looking connectors to the left of the CD changer. The FM modulator goes in there. You can get the FM Modulator, and converter plugs to convert the antenna to the Land Rover square type, these can be bought as BestBuy.

Plug it all in, hook the positive up, ground the negative, then run a 12ft 3.5mm (headphone cable male on both ends) all the way to the front, under the carpet. I used the Belkin ipod connector. It charges the ipod as well as plays music through it. Then where the Belkin unit plugs into the cigarette lighter, there's a female 3.5mm where the cable you ran plugs in, or plugs into your ipod.

Then wallah! You're done. I can give detailed write-ups if necessary. Otherwise, it's really not that hard if you know basic audio wires etc. The trick for me was finding those plugs for the antenna. But that's where they are.

Let me know if you need help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA