2009 RRS Supercharged Hatch Issues!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teeo

Reaction score
Well, looks like I have the dreaded.. lower hatch not quite locked but locked enough that I can't open nor will the upper glass portion. Been scouring the internet for possible solutions to at least getting one or the other open so I can proceed with diagnosing the problem...
There is no actuator noise at the hatch when I unlock the vehicle, the dash shows rear hatch open. All 4 doors lock and unlock as they should.
I have printed out a couple of "solutions" to getting the thing open and spent the last two hours in the back on the inside trying to figure this thing out. (I haven't been this confined with my wife in years!! LAUGH OUT LOUD!) I'm getting the feeling that I am downloading information for either the wrong model or years as things on these photos and instructions just aren't working out?? Yes. I am usually very mechanically inclined but I just don't want to start breaking things because I'm not 100 percent certain....
Is there anybody that can point me to some instructions that pertain to this exact model and year with this problem??
2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

I will forever be in your debt....thanks in advance!
T

Vinny

Reaction score
I have to push my tailgate in after i hit the trunk release button on my keys for the locking mechanism to release
For what ever reason the interlocking is messed up. Try and pushing the tailgate closed while or immediately hitting the trunk open button, Once you get the trunk open, with a screw driver or other similar item you can close the physical latch on the trunk, tricking it to think its closed this will allow the interlocking between the top glass and trunk ( they dont want you to be able to open the glass the same time the trunks open or open the trunk the same tike the glass is open)
With the trunk “ fake latched” but open you should be able to release the glass and open it
If youre unable to than there is an issue with the two locks talking to each other about their status ( if its locked or open)
If youre able to open the top glass while the trunk is dummy locked than there is an issue with the latch on the trunk, when its shut it dosent depress the locking mechanism enough for the interlocking to work

The above steps of dummy locking. Will also need to be completed to remove the finish interior panel of the truck to expose the inner workings, here's a video showing what i was trying to describe, its for looking at the subwoofer, but the beginning shows you how to dummy lock and release the glass and if needed remove the finish panel

https://youtu.be/ vmC2NyFJ-i8

Teeo

Reaction score
Hey Vinny,
Thanks much for taking the time out to post your response!
Unfortunately, I have already seen the video you posted along with many many others. Although it does help once the gate is opened that seems to be my problem, I cannot get it to open at all. No way of "tricking" the upper and lower etc...without first getting it opened, nor can I get the panel removed from the inside because I can't get to the screws on the bottom with the gate locked.
Once actually getting it opened I'm pretty sure its going to be a bad actuator I will need to replace, but I just can't get to that point......

Vinny

Reaction score
Im at a loss for how you would accomplish that other than a breaker bar and prying it open, which would obv damage the car. If you want your trunk open that bad i would say rip the back panel off ( the top is just clippedin, and cut it away, you can buy a refurb’d one online, if not looks like you'll be loading everything from the back seat, best of luck.

Teeo

Reaction score
I'm trying to hold myself back from causing any damage to my rover in hopes that somebody can offer me up some alternative method! I have seen plenty from other years but NOT the 2009...
I just can't believe I am the only one with this issue...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72