2010 L322 Supercharged Full size - Front Suspension dropping overnight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KEITHR_2003

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know this topic has come up in the past with a whole host of suggestions regarding troubleshooting and fixes in some cases, however, I'm still at a loss with mine.

Over the course of the last few months I've noticed that when I park my L322 overnight (in garage on a level surface), the front will have dropped a couple of inches by the morning on both sides, however, the rear will remain in the 'normal' height position. After a few days of being left parked up, the front will be on the bump-stops, and the rear still at 'normal' height.

When I start it up the compressor runs and the car lifts back to normal height pretty quickly, and I can't say that I hear the compressor running more now than normal.

So far I have disconnected the battery and left it overnight to see if one of the front sides would drop, leaving the other at 'normal' height, figuring that with the battery disconnected the self leveling system would be inactive and point to the troublesome shock/airbag..... it still drops down on both sides in the front.

I have replaced the valve block in the front and rear wheel wells, as well as the one located in the spare wheel compartment next to the compressor.

My next thought was that perhaps it is a leaking front airbag, but can't hear/see any visible leaks when wet down with soapy water, and likewise the new valve blocks don't show any signs of leaks either.

I'm thinking that if there was a leak in the lines between the front valve block and airbags it would be audible enough that it can be heard.

At this point I don't know what else to try to help diagnose the cause before shelling out on a pair of new front shocks/bags, and I have a feeling the local LR dealership will suggest all kinds of things to replace that won't actually fix the issue (based on past experiences with other issues) if I take it to them for diagnosis, and I don't have a great deal of options when it comes to local independent mechanics either.

Any thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Keith

RoverGhost

Reaction score
My 2011 was the seals between the bag and the strut. I bought a seal kit and bag just to be safe but only needed the seals. I think as one leaks the car senses it even when parked and levels it at each end so it maybe only oneside. Nice thing is its a fairly easy job if you do your own work.

Alexlr4

Reaction score
It has a self level adjustment...so if one side has a leak it will automatically adjust....best way is to remove the fuse for the self leveling and that will tell you exactly what corner is having a leak...you can then spray soapy water to find the exactly leak location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KEITHR_2003

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. I actually disconnected the battery completely to prevent the system self leveling, and still it drops on both sides of the front when parked in 'normal' height mode.

I tested the same way in off-road height mode and in a 24 hour period it had dropped 1 inch on both sides of the front... seems to be less of a drop than it is when left in 'normal' height.

I did spray everything down with soapy water including the newly replaced valve block, but there was nothing visible.

KELLY KIGHT

Reaction score
I have a 2007 RR Sport HSE 4.4. I replaced my front air shocks, then scrapped the air suspension with coil over shocks when other problems showed up (back leaking, valves leaking, compressor making funny noise) Therefore I have two almost brand new front air shocks that if they would fir your vehicle, would sell them at a great price.

KEITHR_2003

Reaction score
Thanks Kelly, I actually just bit the bullet and ordered a pair of new front air spring bags and plan on fitting them this coming weekend. Going to tackle lower and upper control arms whilst I’m at it.
I’ll update the post when I’ve hopefully got this solved.

RoverGhost

Reaction score
I have a 2007 RR Sport HSE 4.4. I replaced my front air shocks, then scrapped the air suspension with coil over shocks when other problems showed up (back leaking, valves leaking, compressor making funny noise) Therefore I have two almost brand new front air shocks that if they would fir your vehicle, would sell them at a great price.
Sport ones will fit LR3 and 4 but not the L322. Just trying to help:) The RRS is more like the LR3 and 4s since its essentially the same underneath. When I had me LR3 and switched to the RRS Alot of my extras cross right over:)

kevclizzle

Reaction score
I had the same issue....
My RR mechanic and I did everything possible to find the air leak.

we eventually found that one of the lines had like a small, rubbing/friction burn that creates a super small hole. It wasn’t big enough to screw up my system but enough to drop the the front suspension (passenger side), every morning.

mid you go on my IG page:

EL_THREE_TWO_TWO

You will find a photo of the barely seen hole.

DiscoNels

Reaction score
Thanks Kelly, I actually just bit the bullet and ordered a pair of new front air spring bags and plan on fitting them this coming weekend. Going to tackle lower and upper control arms whilst I’m at it.
I’ll update the post when I’ve hopefully got this solved.

Don't forget to check your Front air Valve Block for leakage. I would have started there before air bags, but who knows, the leak could be anywhere.

Lakeranger

Reaction score
Keith, Did you get it sorted? If so, what was the solution? I'm also having an elusive issue with my air suspension on 2007 RR/SC. It's different than yours as my suspension stays up but I get a Suspension Fault and the codes change from Exhaust to slow, compressor failure and others. Also the Terrain features turn off. I've changed both crossover valve blocks and the reservoir valve block. Now in addition to the other issues my right front height sensor seems to have failed as it shows zero voltage but the supply voltage is present. And now the rear will not deflate using the test valve feature of the Gap tool. Maybe the new reservoir valve is defective or the exhaust valve. Have ordered a new compressor that includes a new exhaust valve. The bags themselves hold air just fine so the bags and air lines from the crossover valves are intact with no leaks. The more I work on this it seems more or different issues arise. Soon I will have replaced all the air suspension system components except the bags/struts, ECU, wiring and the rear height sensors. What a frustrating system. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks--

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72