2010 LR4 Multimedia interface update/upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something that’s been bugging me about our LR4 for quite sometime is the fact that all the Bluetooth and cable interface systems have become antiquated....and more importantly they don’t work anymore when trying to connect our iPhones to the vehicle. Typically they just keep cycling and never work.

Has anyone figured out how to correct this?

I know LR updated the interface hardware in the 2012 models allowing Bluetooth streaming audio. (And a few other things I’d imagine). With that said, I’ve toyed with the idea of trying to find a wrecked one and pull the requisite boxes off it and “update”my 2010. But is this even possible? What modules would be required? Does it require any system retuning/reprogramming?

Are there any better ways to remedy this issue? I have heard there is a software patch that supposedly fixes this, but I have never confirmed that fact.

Any advice/input would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meowsdauer

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of searching around the webz, searching for what you're looking for, but I can't find anything. I don't think anyone has figured it out [emoji853]

I'm sure it's possible, but someone has to figure out the right software changes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m pretty much where you’re at. I’m guessing the modules can’t be that different between 2010 & 2012 and up LR4’s....but I’ve been wrong about stuff like that before. I may have to dig into the service manuals and see if I can determine which boxes need to be swapped. Which then beckons the question, will the wiring harness support the new electronics or is it more in-depth than a quick swap.

Other than the stupid multimedia issue, I wouldn’t trade out LR4 for anything!!

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some risky after market systems out there. I say risky because they're high cost and low implementation would probably lead to a more buggy experience than you have today. Overall I wouldn't advise trying to wedge in some sort of upgrade unless it's very well proven. I'd go the other route and get a 3rd party bluetooth system that hooks into the 3.5mm aux system and then just use it to stream audio/phone calls.

Meowsdauer

Reaction score
I feel ya. That's pretty much my only gripe as well. I haven't had a chance to pick one up yet, but a lot of people have had success plugging in the following BT adapter into the iPod port: Bovee 1000 Bundle with RR iPod Integration Cable Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9EQ5PW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_ZAdWDbC18RWMA

I know it's not as clean a solution, but it seems decent.

I would be very interested to hear what you find out in experimenting with the 2012 stereo system.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to look into the Bluetooth adapters, honestly, I never thought about that. I’ll probably use that as an interim solution until I figure out if it’s even possible to swap to 12’ or higher. (19 would be ideal cause that way I could get apple car play....but I’m CONFIDENT trying to slide that far ahead is a bridge too far!).

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with Apple Car Play or Android Auto is that it's not worth it. Mount your phone and you have the same thing or more and simple BT fixes the audio part. I would not trade vehicles for infotainment purposes until the standards flush out further.

gumbedamit

Reaction score
Something that’s been bugging me about our LR4 for quite sometime is the fact that all the Bluetooth and cable interface systems have become antiquated....and more importantly they don’t work anymore when trying to connect our iPhones to the vehicle. Typically they just keep cycling and never work.

Has anyone figured out how to correct this?

I know LR updated the interface hardware in the 2012 models allowing Bluetooth streaming audio. (And a few other things I’d imagine). With that said, I’ve toyed with the idea of trying to find a wrecked one and pull the requisite boxes off it and “update”my 2010. But is this even possible? What modules would be required? Does it require any system retuning/reprogramming?

Are there any better ways to remedy this issue? I have heard there is a software patch that supposedly fixes this, but I have never confirmed that fact.

Any advice/input would be great!

I know this doesn't solve your problem being that you have a 2010 LR4, This unit looks promising for 2013's and above:

http://smarty-trend.com/494-land-rover-discovery-4-2013-2015

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues pairing my Iphone to the 2010? I guess I am lucky?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV