2011, 66k miles, flat battery issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, had my 2011 LR4 for 8 months and have had to jump start it 3 times. First two were from having the radio on for 15 mins with engine off. I assumed the auto radio switch off due to low battery was a sign that battery or alternator were bad. Seems this is normal though.

Yesterday was doing the front brakes. Opened and closed doors several times and battery flat! Got the battery tested and appears fine. Other posts here indicate that battery can still be culprit even if output amps, voltage is within spec?

Batteries only last 4 yrs?????? Might replace anyway. Any definitive tests for diagnosing bad battery or alternator?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A battery should only be expected to last 4 to 5 years on a normal vehicle. However, the LR4, based on collective reports, seems to go through them in less than 3 years.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a weak battery. A good battery should be able to withstand door opening and 15 min of radio. A good load test of the battery should tell the story. Small hand-held testers often generate false positives. At 4yrs old I'd consider it at the end of it's expected useful life and would just replace it.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is exactly 5 years old now. It has been fine, but I have the replacement sitting in the garage. I've been meaning to replace it for a couple of months.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 years is about max for an LR4 battery. On mine I know the battery is weak when the screen clock format changes itself to military time.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 years is about max for an LR4 battery. On mine I know the battery is weak when the screen clock format changes itself to military time.

This just struck me as funny even if it wasn't intended to be....the kind of pro tip that only an experienced Land Rover owner would know!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just struck me as funny even if it wasn't intended to be....the kind of pro tip that only an experienced Land Rover owner would know!

So true...clock switched to military time by itself on both our LR4s just before the battery died. These vehicles certainly have "character".

It helps that the LR4s have the same issues that we experienced on our LR3. For example, the tailgate release actuator died on the LR3 at about 80K miles. Last month I was visiting my mom while she was recovering from surgery. I was bored so decided to clean out her basement. After packing the LR4 to the max with stuff, I arrive at Goodwill and the LR4 tailgate actuator fails. Fun dragging all that junk out a side rear door.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true...clock switched to military time by itself on both our LR4s just before the battery died. These vehicles certainly have "character".

It helps that the LR4s have the same issues that we experienced on our LR3. For example, the tailgate release actuator died on the LR3 at about 80K miles. Last month I was visiting my mom while she was recovering from surgery. I was bored so decided to clean out her basement. After packing the LR4 to the max with stuff, I arrive at Goodwill and the LR4 tailgate actuator fails. Fun dragging all that junk out a side rear door.
The actuator that releases the upper tailgate is what I call a gear motor located within the lower tailgate. If it does not operate when previously it has, do not turn off your engine but let it idle so that vehicle voltage is a bit higher than when the engine is not running. Sometimes the extra volt or so is enough to get at least one more action out of the actuator.

If this works, then perhaps one has some combination of a tired actuator and a tired battery. Regardless, get a new actuator installed and also consider installing a manual release.

The links below relate to a manual release I installed on my 3 in the early days when the failure mode for the actuator was most often a failed cable. After LR fixed that problem, then the weakening gear motor became the most likely mode of failure.

I note that all the files within the below link have more than a thousand views so it would seem some regard the information as of value.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4155

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh interesting discussion re. tailgate actuator. The first time I used it my thought was "that's a part that's destined to fail and cost $$$". Mine intermittently won't open. If I press down ******* the tailgate as I operate the button it seems to free it up and it opens, so maybe an alignment issue...........where to get an actuator (other than main dealer)?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it does not operate when previously it has, do not turn off your engine but let it idle so that vehicle voltage is a bit higher than when the engine is not running.

Another gem from the True Landy Owners' wiki!! If the tailgate release actuator doesn't work, gun your engine and try again. (OK, you didn't actually say to gun the engine but I thought it added a humorous touch)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA