2011 LR4 front air strut replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Well I spent 6 hours yesterday replacing front air struts...

a couple things to point out and save you guys time. Probably 2 plus hours...

15mm swivel ratcheting wrench are a must have... others 22mm and 24mm deep sockets for removing strut support bolt and nut. PB Blaster penetrating oil to enable easier loosening of nuts on top of struts.

I have big hands and not the longest fingers so I had to remove the plastic inner fenders to be able to reach the back nut... just do this it provides extra access and easier access to back nut on struts.

If you had a 15mm socket that was 1.5 inches long then 15degree bend and then had 10-12” handle you might be able to use for back kit with removing the inner fender.

Last major time saver is to do the Atlantic British method of inserting airline in from above the strut with tightened nut.

ps heat shields on our LR4’s are a pain in the ass...

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
After leveling truck - ride is back to like new. ILAND tool is awesome - used it to take air out of system before removing your airstruts - enabling the system and then leveling it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your LR4? Why did you change the struts? Were they leaking or was it just time for new ones?

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Just hit 100k miles and LR4 would be lowered every morning after driving it day before... knew I had leak, changed the front controller - no change - took to Indy shop here said front right strut was leaking - so I changed the pair

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you determine it was a leaking strut (air spring) vs the front valve block?

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
I replaced front valve block first - that didn’t work - then I took it to Indy shop - they couldn’t find leak in air line - they kept it overnight and probably guessed a side they thought was leaking... I could never hear it as it had to be very small leak... decided to buy pair so I didn’t have to guess when the other one was going to start leaking too... was it truly the right front or left front - YES it was one of the two :)

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Ride is smooth - I think it may need new bushings in the control arms - how can you tell for sure?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut