2011 LR4 gearbox/transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AfroLR4

Reaction score
Greetings all. I am in the midst of a gearbox drama. My 2011 LR4, 115000 miles needs a new gearbox. The warranty company will pay $11500 for the repair, but JLR here in Southern Cal is quoting $13500 for a new gearbox, expedited shipping from the factory in Solihull UK. Is this a fair price? I am asking for a break down of parts and labour and I am still waiting for that information. I welcome any insight or experiences. Cheers.

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $3500 for a rebuild on my transmission with 138k CI, I would never pay 13,500 however since your really only paying 2k for it and your getting a completely new one shipped to you I’d say that’s pretty fair unless this “warranty company” raises your rates. Thing is when shops rebuild a transmission they reuse a lot of parts that dont appear as worn in your transmission and then replace the ones that appear worn. But sometimes they will miss something and you’ll have to take it back and thats a headache(what I’m experiencing now). So all things considered if your only paying 2k in the long run for a actual brand new transmission I’d say that’s a steal.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Greetings all. I am in the midst of a gearbox drama. My 2011 LR4, 115000 miles needs a new gearbox. The warranty company will pay $11500 for the repair, but JLR here in Southern Cal is quoting $13500 for a new gearbox, expedited shipping from the factory in Solihull UK. Is this a fair price? I am asking for a break down of parts and labour and I am still waiting for that information. I welcome any insight or experiences. Cheers.
I was quoted around $8k for a brand new transmission fitted by Land Rover San Diego (dealership). Insurance covered 80% of the cost and I paid 20% out of pocket. Around $2k with taxes and all that, so, $2k out of pocket isn't too bad for a new tranny.

I'd suggest calling around other dealerships to get a quote over the phone.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What symptoms were you guys seeing before your gearboxes failed? Curious to see what I should be looking out for.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
My first transmission, poured transmission fluid out of it. Not sure what happened, dealer said that it had a crack on the case. 2nd transmission, brand new from dealership, had a transmission cooling line rub up on my front diff until fluid spilled out of it. Field patched it. Drove it for a few hundred miles till I got home to top it off, missing less than 1 liter. A few thousand miles later on the freeway I heard a clunk, transmission was slipping, mil light on with "Transmission Fault", and was unable to get into and stay in gear.

AfroLR4

Reaction score
Gratitude for your comments and wisdom folks. Fresh new gearbox arrived and was installed. It's so strange and wonderful to see 127k miles on the dash, knowing I really only have 4k on the brand new factory built gearbox. Now I need to get the tow hitch and rally have some fun. Drives super smooth, until something else pops up lol.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gratitude for your comments and wisdom folks. Fresh new gearbox arrived and was installed. It's so strange and wonderful to see 127k miles on the dash, knowing I really only have 4k on the brand new factory built gearbox. Now I need to get the tow hitch and rally have some fun. Drives super smooth, until something else pops up lol.

I'm following in the footsteps. I have 98k on mine and I've been running it hard. Discovered in Sport mode it will shift into 4th at 6,400 RPM which is far into the redline. I've also been doing downshifts to pass and horse around, its a pretty fun gearbox. I like how it normally starts in 2nd, but you can gear down to 1st and get a better launch. But with that many miles and the way I drive it I'm thinking it will break soon? Did you run yours hard? Been feeling a little clunk but I think that is just play and not a problem. How much did the gearbox + labor cost?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't start in second unless I put it in snow/gravel mode, and then it does start in 2nd. I was offroading once and hadn't put it in 4lo, and had to go up a bit of a steep bank to get around a downed tree - it wouldn't go up due to being in 2nd, the torque converter was just letting things slip. Hopefully not a sign of issues with the torque converter, and didn't do any damage. Putting it in 4-lo made quick work of it.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm following in the footsteps. I have 98k on mine and I've been running it hard. Discovered in Sport mode it will shift into 4th at 6,400 RPM which is far into the redline. I've also been doing downshifts to pass and horse around, its a pretty fun gearbox. I like how it normally starts in 2nd, but you can gear down to 1st and get a better launch. But with that many miles and the way I drive it I'm thinking it will break soon? Did you run yours hard? Been feeling a little clunk but I think that is just play and not a problem. How much did the gearbox + labor cost?

Mine didn’t like heat very much, my new one has been fine. If you don’t shift into first yourself it will not shift into it automatically so that’s why your starting in second. In automatic mode it will start in first. These gearboxes were used in a ton of bmws and other cars but they are definitely stressed more in Land Rover/Range Rovers since they are all time AWD and 3 tons. So with that being said be easy on it. Only push it when you need it, have fun but be smart and don’t beat on it a ton, these are far from sports cars. I’ve heard great stories and terrible stories (I’ve experienced the terrible side of the deal) it’s just better not to risk it.

Also the redline in this car is 6,500 RPM, not encouraging you just educating.

I would be careful I had issues with the gearbox around 90k miles and it was never right until I lost 5th gear in 110° desert weather. I restarted the car and limped it manually shifting purposely avoiding 5th gear (6th gear at 65, 4th gear for any type of slight grade) it wasn’t a fun experience. Had a full overhaul done and all is well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA