2011 LR4 HSE V8 hesitated, stalled, won’t restart...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonRod79

Reaction score
I was driving my LR4 home and while at a stoplight it hesitated for a split second, then stalled. The light turned green and I quickly pressed the ignition button. It started and I began to pull through the light turning left. Halfway through the turn it shut off again. I coasted safely to the side of the road and was not able to get it started again. I had it towed to my house. I'm thinking that it’s either a faulty camshaft position sensor or possibly the fuel pump. Anyone else experience this issue? Any thoughts or suggestions?

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving my LR4 home and while at a stoplight it hesitated for a split second, then stalled. The light turned green and I quickly pressed the ignition button. It started and I began to pull through the light turning left. Halfway through the turn it shut off again. I coasted safely to the side of the road and was not able to get it started again. I had it towed to my house. I'm thinking that it’s either a faulty camshaft position sensor or possibly the fuel pump. Anyone else experience this issue? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Codes? Could be a myriad of things.

JonRod79

Reaction score
I have a diagnostic tool ordered, but don’t have it in hand yet Sonia haven’t run codes yet. It didn’t throw any dash lights (no check engine or anything).

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a diagnostic tool ordered, but don’t have it in hand yet Sonia haven’t run codes yet. It didn’t throw any dash lights (no check engine or anything).

It will possibly have a pending code. Hopefully you ordered a Gap IID or similar. Sometime the cheaper code readers are not super helpful.

If you have a friend with a gap tool, they can run codes. That function is not vin locked

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try to clean the throttle body first (cheapest fix). It could be clogged injectors, fuel pump, etc... Did you happen to do any type of maintenance prior to this happening? Give us some history.

I’m assuming it turns over (ie it doesn’t seem to be electrical)

JonRod79

Reaction score
I did an oil change about 100 or so miles before this. It does turn over, just won't fire. I’ll clean the throttle body in the meantime. I ordered the iLand from rover parts.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did an oil change about 100 or so miles before this. It does turn over, just won't fire. I’ll clean the throttle body in the meantime. I ordered the iLand from rover parts.

I’d be surprised if that caused the issue, but don’t know. No other issues or recent work, idling issues prior, codes that were not addressed (seemed to clear on own)? Any other history you can fill us in on?

My suspicion is a fuel pump but my understanding is they usually don’t fail that quickly. Lots of discussion on here about them. I believe there is a low pressure pump (on top of the gas tank) and a hi pressure pump. I have (knock on wood) not had one fail.

Let us know the codes when you get your iland. Also let us know how you like the iland. Not much chatter on here about that obd ii

JonRod79

Reaction score
Will do and many thanks for the responses. No codes or issues. It was very sudden, abrupt and showed no alerts when it happened. The only issue I have had is the typical tailgate latch. I replaced that last year. Everything has been stellar. I usually do oil changes every 10,000 with the SAE oil and filter. Also it has 93,000 miles.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do and many thanks for the responses. No codes or issues. It was very sudden, abrupt and showed no alerts when it happened. The only issue I have had is the typical tailgate latch. I replaced that last year. Everything has been stellar. I usually do oil changes every 10,000 with the SAE oil and filter. Also it has 93,000 miles.

Only thing I’d change here is your intervals. I’d move to 5-7500 to avoid any timing tensioner wear. Ounce of prevention.

I know it didn’t throw a code with cel light, but often there will be pending codes. Since this happened quickly, I’d guess your codes are pending. Sounds like fuel delivery issue to me. Especially since it restarted, ran, and stalled shortly after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV