2011 LR4 normal engine sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braddisco

Reaction score
Hi all, coming from many years tinkering with D2s I’m still finding my way around the LR4. Getting familiar with the normal “sound” of the engine has been a tough one with this truck. The previos owner had the timing chain job completed a few months before I purchased it. I spoke with the mechanic that did the job and it all checked out. They used good parts and the shop was decent. So that said I would expect the engine to sound smooth, relatively. When my truck starts I can hear the timing chain (or at least what I think its the tc) slap a few times, for maybe a few seconds and then quite down a bit. At normal idle the engine sounds a bit like a diesel. I’m pretty certain I can hear the timing chains spin round the sprocket. Is this normal stuff for these V8, is it just part of the “hum” of the engine or am I headed towards an issue? FYI, no dash lights, runs/ drives smooth otherwise. Long time LR4 owners please chime in. Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are describing is a normal LR4 sound. A lot of the clatter is the noisy fuel injectors.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines sounds like complete garbage. Smooth as glass though, so you shouldn't be able to tell it's idling besides the awful noise. If it sounds like an old London cab, it's correct.

Xanderith

Reaction score
Is there something on these engines that dislike cold temperatures? I am coming up to my fourth winter with my 2012 bought in June of 2018. When I bought it I heard the normal noises and all was good no complaints or issues until near the end of the year and it started cooling down. When I first heard it I thought it was timing chains so I started buying parts and researching the job to do myself but here in south Texas we have a short winter so by the time I was ready to get started it had warmed up and the noise stopped.

Over the summer it perform perfectly and other than a hole in the air tank only required regular maintenance. Then temps started dropping and the noise returned. I still had the parts to do chains but as my only vehicle I didn't want to rip apart the engine unnecessarily so I lived with it until now. This morning when I got in to go to work and started it up the noise was back and after seeing this thread I thought to ask if anyone else had noticed or heard of something similar. My thoughts are with it either being a chain issue with the tensioner sticking in the cooler temp (55F this morning) or possibly an exhaust leak that as the part contract in the lower temp becomes auditable and the goes away as it warms up closing the gap.

Any help would be appreciated.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold temperatures...55F the horror. jk. What is the noise?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the noise you are hearing in cooler days?

55 degrees isn't very cold, and probably barely makes a difference on engine startup. I'm sure you probably get this a lot when posting online about "cold" weather in Corpus Christi.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should hear the noise a LR4 makes when it starts from a cold soak -30 day.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one noise I had that stood out on cold days (around freezing temps or lower) was the fan clutch. More of a rhythmic "plink... plink... pink... plink" sound.

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
Hi all, coming from many years tinkering with D2s I’m still finding my way around the LR4. Getting familiar with the normal “sound” of the engine has been a tough one with this truck. The previos owner had the timing chain job completed a few months before I purchased it. I spoke with the mechanic that did the job and it all checked out. They used good parts and the shop was decent. So that said I would expect the engine to sound smooth, relatively. When my truck starts I can hear the timing chain (or at least what I think its the tc) slap a few times, for maybe a few seconds and then quite down a bit. At normal idle the engine sounds a bit like a diesel. I’m pretty certain I can hear the timing chains spin round the sprocket. Is this normal stuff for these V8, is it just part of the “hum” of the engine or am I headed towards an issue? FYI, no dash lights, runs/ drives smooth otherwise. Long time LR4 owners please chime in. Thanks!
Mine sounds similar like a deisel. I have not done the tensioners. I do have new fuel injectors though.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines are loud. One look at all the sound deadening that is used in the engine bay is evidence that the designers knew this. The foam around the heads, the insulated engine cover and the mat on the hood. The 4.4L in the LR3 is a mouse by comparison.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV