2012 LR4 - Clunk at low speeds in 1st gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kris JM

Reaction score
Hey everyone, curious if anyone has had the same issue. 1st gear, slow speeds 3-10mph, it feels like I’m going over bumps in the pavement, although the road is smooth. Clunk, 2 seconds, clunk, etc. Shifting is smooth up and down, turning is fine. I noticed this over the last 2 years, dealer didn’t find anything when I asked them 2 years ago. This only happens in 1st gear too.

Because the road is smooth and I’m going straight, and it’s only in 1st gear, hoping someone can help me pinpoint it. Transmission, differential, control arms, bushings? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
Control arm bushings. Given the weight of the vehicle, they don't last as long as in a lighter vehicle. I've had to change mine every 2 to 3 years.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive slowly and pulse the brake - you should hear the clunking. Do you know when they were last replaced?

Kris JM

Reaction score
Wow, thank you. Just googled and that makes sense. I also have premature tire wear on the outside edge of 3 tires. 2 front, back right. Have had it aligned multiple times. One guy found the tie rod ends were seized, and loosened them by using a torch. That really helped the overall feel and steering, but didn’t fix tire wear. Will look to replace asap and report back. Again, thank you!

Last edited:

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy is wearing out on mine & the clunking is annoying at low speeds & over bumps.

Replacement ordered.

Attachments

• E3AA8865-F6D6-4900-AA45-8DBC1A23FAA9.jpeg
    E3AA8865-F6D6-4900-AA45-8DBC1A23FAA9.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA