2012 LR4 HSE Speaker Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JangoSW

Reaction score
Opened the center speaker on the dashboard. Bc I have a HSE, there was no speaker. But to my surprise, there is a speaker connector. Has anyone attached a 2.5in speaker here? Do you need the upgraded amp or will it pipe stereo through as is?

Also, I want to add cargo area pillar speakers I grabbed from an old LR3. They fit and have the speaker built in, but I cant find a similar speaker wire back there.

Any help would be great.

Thx
Sean

IMG_0737.JPG

eli4x4

Reaction score
Did you found out about the speakers front and rear? I have a 2012 HSE and was thinking about doing the same thing.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly if you wanted to install them in the OEM places I’d swap the amp for the 825w Logic7 Harman/kardon System or if you want to go a cheaper route the 480w Logic7 that was offered with the 10-11 LR4. I have the 480w System in my car. Great system apart from the bass in the 2nd row. I plan on dropping about 1k into putting a 500w sub with an amp and just linking it to the OEM one in the tailgate. Also I believe the base harman/kardon system uses different speakers then the Logic7 speakers because of the power output difference. The Logic7 speakers should be a bit stiffer so if you do plan on swapping the system then consider doing that too. But what are you specifically looking from by upgrading your system.

JangoSW

Reaction score
honestly if you wanted to install them in the OEM places I’d swap the amp for the 825w Logic7 Harman/kardon System or if you want to go a cheaper route the 480w Logic7 that was offered with the 10-11 LR4. I have the 480w System in my car. Great system apart from the bass in the 2nd row. I plan on dropping about 1k into putting a 500w sub with an amp and just linking it to the OEM one in the tailgate. Also I believe the base harman/kardon system uses different speakers then the Logic7 speakers because of the power output difference. The Logic7 speakers should be a bit stiffer so if you do plan on swapping the system then consider doing that too. But what are you specifically looking from by upgrading your system.

Great information. Thank you.
I'm looking to just have more speakers. I only have the HSE version. Do you know if LR ran the speaker wires to the back cargo area? I can't find them yet.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest with you I’m not completely sure. Honestly before you go through with any of this I’d make sure to put a speaker into the front center speaker and see if that works because I’m very surprised that they went through the effort to wire it there with the system you have. But I doubt that they did wire the rear with points to plug in speakers considering it’s claimed to be an 11 speaker system. Nun the less i could be wrong since you already found a wire to the front one making it a 12 speaker system. Before anything else tho make sure that the plug in is actually connected to the am by putting a speaker there and seeing if it works.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if your going for better sound all together I’d go for the 17 speaker Harman/Kardon 825W Logic7 system and try to retrofit it to your car along with all the trim pieces your self if your handy to save money and then have the wiring done properly at a shop. I wanted to do this however I couldn’t find the amplifier anywhere online and since I had a 2010 I figured the 12-13 amp wouldn’t cope with the old infotainment system so I decided to save a couple of bucks and slim down my needs to just bass. But if you have a bit more money in the budget I definitely recommend going with the 825w you won’t regret it and the difference will be extraordinary.

JangoSW

Reaction score
Update: I connected a friend's LR4 center speaker to my HSE center. They fit, which was nice. But there is NO power to the speaker.

Here is the connector to the base for reference. I'd like to find a speaker harness at some point. Need to get power to the speaker in the meantime.

60037478982__38D9753B-0025-4826-A6BC-EC0DF90467B6.JPG

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and In order to get power I’m afraid you might have to get a new amp and get the wiring all done. Like I said I’d suggest getting the 825w Logic7 if you can find it.