2012 LR4 Whining in steering wheel (inside the cabin)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nolift911

Reaction score
Trying to track down an annoying sound coming from my steering wheel during slow speed maneuvers, parking lots etc. Sounds like a violin when you move the wheel back and forth, its slight but enough to be annoying, sounds like something is rubbing or needs to be lubed in the column - anyone else have this and know the fix? Thanks -

nolift911

Reaction score
So I read the whole steering gear pinion seal thread - this really seems like right behind the steering wheel, inside the cabin not out under the truck with the rack. It does seem like something just needs to be lubed but not sure where exactly and does the wheel have to come off?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this as well. Really don't think it is the TSB issue has it sounds like it is coming from directly behind the airbag.

I've tried shooting some blue back there with no results.

I wouldn't mind pulling the airbag, but I have just sat on it waiting to see if anyone ever posts about what exactly needs to be lubricated.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this sound.

Replaced my PS fluid yesterday based on the tsb instructions. I'll report back in a couple days if it solved the problem.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been doing this as well for almost two years. It doesn't seem like a PS flush would solve this, as this is a plastic squeaky sound directly in the steering column. I'd love to know what to spray and where to make this go away.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this didn't take long to confirm.

the TSB did not fix the issue for me.

I understand some people say the sound is transmitting up through the steering column from the rack, but as already mentioned, it really seems like its coming from the wheel/column cover area. im going to continue spraying random points of contact with lithium grease to see if i get a result.

At least i know ive got fresh power steering fluid in there now though.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have spoke too soon. The sound does seem to have gone away since changing the PS fluid.

Maybe the fluid worked its way through the PS rack better as I drove more?
or
maybe the ambient temperature plays a factor in the sound? the weather has been getting hotter here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV