2013 LR4 HSE LUX - Camera Unavailable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eenis

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post after scrolling this place for a while and not finding an answer. When turning on my car my camera wont work. Upon starting, the system has a loud continous beep that signals the camera isnt working and displays an error message "camera unavailable - contact your dealer". The frequency in which this happens is increasing rapidly over the past month so it makes me think theres loose wiring or something akin to that. Does anyone have access to a trouble shooting guide for this issue becuase after a few hours of looking I came up empty handed. Thanks in advance and ill post a video of what it does when starting in a reply to this comment.

Last edited:

eenis

Reaction score
Well nevermind on the video for the time being because of course its working fine right now in the garage! So here's the description once again. Turn vehicle on, loud continuous beep noise for 30 seconds, dashboard shows warning "camera unavailable - contact your dealer". During this time ive accessed the diagnostic screen by holding down on the valet button for 30 seconds and went to camera to see that it shows a signal like wavy lines, reminds me of an old CRT TV not getting a proper signal.

eenis

Reaction score
That issue you described would result in the camera not displaying an image on the screen?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That issue you described would result in the camera not displaying an image on the screen?

Correct. I verified this when I installed my TR rear bumper. I was planning on ditching the wiring harness for the parking sensors, but ended up need to retain it so the camera would function. IIRC, even after disabling the parking sensors via the IIDTool, the sensors still needed to be in place for the camera to function.

There have been other posts over the years of wonky camera behavior due to sensor harness damage.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the "camera unavailable" fault can be caused by damaged/defective/failing parking sensor or the wiring that runs to each parking sensor.

I really did have my rear camera fail since it was submerged in water. Needed a new gasket for that area above the license plate that has the plate light and tailgate release button. And of course I needed a new rear camera too.

eenis

Reaction score
Ok great Info guys, I’ll check that and thank you. Question on inspecting the harness. Firstly would it only be the rear in question or could a faulty front be the cause as well? Secondly what should I look for, visible cracks/exposed wire, crudded leads? Or should I be running a voltmeter on it and checking for continuity? And lastly, should I just buy a rear one now to save me the trouble of taking apart whatever I have to twice, not sure how involved it is lol

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer has some sort of device that can check each parking sensor to see if it is working to pinpoint the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV