2013 Range Rover Sport Engine Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gternlund

Reaction score
This is my 2013 Land Rover Range Rover Sport with just over 100,000 miles. I joined this forum a few months ago and since then I’ve seen many videos of owners asking about their timing chains and if their engine sound was normal.

This video is of my 2013 idling after being warmed up. My question is, is this what a healthy engine sounds like at idle? The car is running great, no codes, no issues at all. The main purpose for this post is that if the forum consensus is that this engine sounds normal, I would like to use this video as a baseline for the future to know if something is off. Thanks in advance!

Bill V

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Range Rover with the 5.0 engine. I bought it used with 120000 miles on it, and have been fearing the dreaded timing chain tensioner issue. I checked the timing chain through the oil fill port, and it seems tight.
My engine sounds exactly like yours. That light ticking noise is disconcerting to me, but like yours, it runs great and hasn't thrown any codes.
The rear differential on the other hand....

gternlund

Reaction score
I’ll just keep riding it out. I hate having it in the back of my head all the time if today is going to be the day. Thanks for the reply!

AdiRRS2010

Reaction score
I've just bought an used Range Rover Sport 5.0L N/A engine, with 104,000 miles, two months ago. I already put 3,000 miles on it. It runs fantastic! I'm new to Land Rover, being an ******** BMW guy. Until now. Nonetheless I'm really concerned with the timing chain tensioner issue. I have the same kind of ticking noise manifesting itself after the engine warming up. No codes, great power, it runs great...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72