2015 LR4 HSE Roof Rack Rails and Cross Bar Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMullensNH

Reaction score
First time LR owner, picking up an LR4 HSE with 70k miles. Two owners, well maintained, clean CarFax. Looks mint. However it doesn't have the roof rails or cross bars. I've seen several aftermarket kits for ~$200 vs the ~$460 from the dealer. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket roof racks? Hate to depend on the structural integrity of the aftermarket products and have them fail.

Same question for aftermarket cargo covers.

Thanks,
Bret

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I know this is your intro, but with the tech questions I will move this to the LR4 section for better responses.

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time LR owner, picking up an LR4 HSE with 70k miles. Two owners, well maintained, clean CarFax. Looks mint. However it doesn't have the roof rails or cross bars. I've seen several aftermarket kits for ~$200 vs the ~$460 from the dealer. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket roof racks? Hate to depend on the structural integrity of the aftermarket products and have them fail.

Thanks,
Bret

I have aftermarket long rails and cross bars. I bought them on eBay and had no issues installing them. I have only used them for carrying surfboards a couple times but see no reason for concern. They look great and have functioned well for me.

I have not messed with the OEM rails first hand though so I cannot speak to how closely the two compare. Just my $.02

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have issues with some aftermarket roof rails. I know somebody here posted about the holes not lining up with the roof mounting points. Given the cost of bikes or skis or whatever you are carrying up there, I'd buy OEM roof rails. Here are good sources:

https://landrovermerriamparts.com/

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/RRK

If very handy and careful you can install them yourself. If not, have the dealer do it since there have been posts here about people cracking the glass roof when installing the rails.

A for cross bars, most of us use the OEM version made by Thule that slides into the roof rail track. The part number is VPLAR0001. Again, try Land Rover Merriam Parts.

If you need wider bars you can go with Yakima or Thule aftermarket cross bars. However, the Thule fit kit for the LR4 does not work very well as the metal tab you slide inside the rail only makes contact with 2 corners inside the rail.

Or if you need lots of roof space, there are racks like this:
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...w-table-opening-front-runner-slimline-ii.html

BMullensNH

Reaction score
Really appreciate the quick feedback from all. As newb to Land Rovers and this forum, it's great to learn from those with more experience. Picking the vehicle up today. Can't wait!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have never looked for these on the aftermarket. On the one hand this piece is a fairly light duty accessory; a simple retractable cover that is not weight bearing, so aftermarket could be fine. OTOH, the OEM piece is a physically rather heavy item that suggests good build quality. The OEM cargo cover retracts in a smooth dependable fashion, and it is also designed with keyhole-type openings so you can stow it on pegs that are cleverly placed in the gap between the middle row and 3rd row seats when they are folded flat for cargo transport. Try to determine if the aftermarket option has that feature.

PS: Congrats and welcome to the Rover owners community.

Schlepper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have aftermarket extended rails.no issues looks like they were made in the same factory. No issues with installing. Grabbed used LR cross bars and factory cargo cover off EBay.

BMullensNH

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Just picked up my LR4 and the sales person misquoted the factor rails and cross bars. What was originally ~$450 has ballooned to ~$1300 for the whole set up! And that doesn't include installation. Can't imagine what it would be to have them install them. Do you recall what brand of aftermarket rails you have? Really hard to justify even the cost of the parts from LR.

silvajt2

Reaction score
I purchased a set of OEM short rails from Overland Imports a few years back that were off of an old LR3 they were parting out. I forgot how much I paid but probably less than $200, maybe cheaper.

Overland Imports Auto Parts and Sales / Overland Rovers: https://m.facebook.com/overlandimportsautoparts/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV