2015 LR4 - Parking brake failure, help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haris

Reaction score
Hi folks I park on an inclined driveway, and on multiple occasions unless the car is absolutely stationary when I engage the parking brake I hear a grinding noise and then parking brake failure. I have to sometimes turn the car off then on, then disengage the brake then engage again, just to get it to work.

Does anyone know what the problem is? My other cars (not Land Rovers) do not have this.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh dear.
It sounds like the EPB actuator mechanism has eaten itself. Mine did this a year ago and is a common problem. There are plastic gears and if the mechanism is out of adjustment (eg brake shoes not correctly adjusted), then it over winds (as I recall) and is toast. I suggest not using it as it can jam on (another headache if emerg cable release does not work).
Most garages will fit new actuator $$$. You can buy replacement gears. I got these and am waiting to tackle it. Its a bit of a painful job.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EPB actuator mechanism is located behind and above the rear diff. Access to it is tricky. Check out YouTube and you will find some repair vids. Note that access on LR3 much easier as you can get to it after lowering spare wheel. Other infrastructure in the way of it if trying this approach with LR4

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a lot to be said for having a trad hand brake lever. An elec hand brake is an expensive repair just waiting to happen.

Note when installing new rear EPB shoes there is an elaborate procedure for adjusting them. If not done correctly I recall this contributes to actuator self destructing

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the meantime you can continue driving the car, just do NOT use the EPB and avoid parking on hills :)
Note that if it is only a bit out of adjustment then the gears may be okay. Checking brake shoe adjustment and resetting the actuator (GAP IID tool can do this i think) may be all that is needed. Depends on how many times you have operated it with grinding noise

SimpleVT

Reaction score
I recommend you stop using the parking brake if possible and look up the instructions for manual release (under the cup holder) so if you get stuck you can release quickly if needed. This happed to me, heard the grinding noise about 6 times, kept engaging the PB as a habit, and then it froze. Had to get the EPB replaced.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note that the emergency release cable located beneath the cup holder inbetween the front seats can be hard to operate. I could not get it to release and ended up driving 3km with the smell of burning brake shoes

2010 LR4 Rick

Reaction score
Hi folks I park on an inclined driveway, and on multiple occasions unless the car is absolutely stationary when I engage the parking brake I hear a grinding noise and then parking brake failure. I have to sometimes turn the car off then on, then disengage the brake then engage again, just to get it to work.

Does anyone know what the problem is? My other cars (not Land Rovers) do not have this.
Mine has been out for a couple of years; I just haven’t used the emergency brake because it’s a pain to pull the manual release. I just started to see about getting it fixed. I was quoted that the new part from Land Rover is $2k.

2010 LR4 Rick

Reaction score
Note that the emergency release cable located beneath the cup holder inbetween the front seats can be hard to operate. I could not get it to release and ended up driving 3km with the smell of burning brake shoes
I keep a screwdriver in my glove box exact that reason. I put it through the loop at the end of the cable so I have some decent leverage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV