2015 US LR4 Tailgate won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidwood

Reaction score
Hi, first post on here. My 2015 LR tailgate will unlock (you can hear it) but won't open using the rubber covered buttons above the license plate. The car knows it's unlocked/open because trying to lock the car again using the key fob, creates the beep which usually indicates a door is open (there's no indication on the dash that the car thinks the tailgate is open). After less than 5 minutes, some process in the electronics recycles and I can lock the car? Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance
David

Thanks everyone for the links and notes!!! This is going to be interesting.

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your cable came off of the actuator or the actuator isn't fully extending/contracting to unlock the upper tailgate. If the rubber buttons aren't working, you'll probably need to replace the rubber button.

Here's a good video to check out,

While you have your tailgate opened up for repairs, I highly recommend doing this. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...rade-prevent-rear-door-failure-for-25.159873/

Michael Conley

Reaction score
I had to replace the entire actuator, got the whole kit from Atlantic British, pretty striaghtfoward when you watch the videos out there. Ended up zip-tying the S hook to the actuator for good measure to avoid the potential slippage. Hopefully you can get it open, I lucked out as it was starting to go and was able to get the parts prior to it completely dying. Good luck!

drivrswntd

Reaction score
I had to replace the entire actuator, got the whole kit from Atlantic British, pretty striaghtfoward when you watch the videos out there. Ended up zip-tying the S hook to the actuator for good measure to avoid the potential slippage. Hopefully you can get it open, I lucked out as it was starting to go and was able to get the parts prior to it completely dying. Good luck!

Same here on mine. Mine was shut though and would not open. Had to pry the carpet out from under the tailgate plastic trim to get access in there to slip it open. From there it was easy to remove the trim, pop the carpet the rest of the way off and replace the actuator.

LR4_Ron

Reaction score
I'm afraid jlach993 is right. I have a 2012 LR4 HSE and I recently suffered the same problem... almost exactly as your experiences. Even though replacing the actuator and/or the upper latch may be required (and may never again require replacing while in our possession), I've adapted a handy work-around. (See attached file)

Attachments

• LRP007004_L319-Upper-Tailgate-handle-installation.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 196

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV