2016 LR4 Air Conditioning Whistling Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Purchased used about 50K miles in 2019.
Have used it very little due to Covid.

Under these exact conditions, and ONLY these conditions, and very reproducible once you figure it out.

Over about 85F ambient temperature
Blower set at about half speed.
(Also happens on blower on auto, but not as reproducible)
A/C must be ON
Hold the same RPM for at least 60-90 seconds. Stoplight or freeway at stable cruise.
Increase RPM/speed, is as in pulling away from the stoplight or acceleration from cruise

Get a high pitched, reasonably loud whistle for about 5 seconds or so.

It's not outside air over a cowling, it is absolutely an AC related noise.

We can live with the noise, more concerned that there might be something wrong.

Thanks.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s a sound coming out of the dashboard area (electric fans/flap actuator motors etc.), I wouldn’t worry about it unless it gets worse - to the point that it annoys you. Unless maybe you have it under warranty. If you start pulling the dash out to fix it, you’ll probably end up with even more squeaks and rattles than you have now.

Mine has what sounds like the same type of high pitched squeal/whistle right after I start it up and the ac kicks in. Pretty clearly coming from the dash and I think it’s one of the blend doors or actuator motors squealing as it gets into position.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA