2016 LR4 Coolant Crossover, Water Pump, Thermostat Replacement

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple hundred mls is not much. That’s probably just some air trapped in the system. I had to add some after the project (can’t remember how much), but I did the manual bleed. I wonder if you can’t effectively pressure test with that vacuum bleeder somehow. Anyway, I wouldn’t bother with it - just keep an eye on it. Should stabilize before long.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So far seems stable.
So I did mine (pipes, every hose, Therm, WP, SC oil and coupling) Sep 2021, and I think I've had to add about 1/2-1cup of coolant several times over the last year. If it goes low (approx 1/2inch or less from fill line) again, I'll ck for leaks....

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016 LR4, 60K miles

I am told that the fill volume for this is 151mL, but I recovered only 84mL.

No evidence of leaks and yes, I am sure I got it all out - syringe and tubing and moving SC to make sure I was getting it from all the corners of the gearbox.

New oil has no appreciable odor, used oil has very unpleasant odor, closest I can come to a description is nasty earwax.

Fill volume should be ?? Opinions....

(Does it actually ever get easy??)

UPDATE I sent SCOL photos of all the stickers and all the casting numbers and they state at 200% certainty (their words)
that the fill volume on this particular gearbox is 90mL. Nergal, the tech guy, spoke to second level support and apparently, once they had all the photos,
they said "OH, it's one of Those...". We agreed that the refill volume should be 85mL.

I think it's another case of "every Rover is unique because they are all put together using whatever is laying around that day."

View attachment 22233
@txfromwi what amount did you end up going with? I got 70ml out of mine (tipped upside down out of the vehicle). Mine looks just like yours at 85k and the smell filled the garage with just the plug out…

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I refilled supercharger with 85mL per the recommendation from Super Chargers On Line. That plus the fact that I only removed 84mL and the manual is very insistent that the system not be overfilled.

It has gone about 2K miles since, about 1.7K of that freeway across country miles. So far so good.

Pagoda

Reaction score
I followed txfromwi’s outstanding video and got about 80ml out and put 85ml in and use the remainder of the contents of the bottle I had to do a quick flush.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I let it sit overnight as I was waiting for a new snout, and tipped it over one more time and got a couple more mls out for a total of 80; I put 85ml back in

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Well... MINE was 85 mL.
When Superchargers On Line got all my photos and identification they literally said "Oh, you have one of those...

I think as a general rule we need to put in roughly what we get out, and clearly there are some that live at about 85mL based on what is coming out from the comments above.

I would recommend that all future folks call SCOL when it's apart so you can get all the casing numbers and numbers on the stickers and have them double verify ....Just in case....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saopesoko