2017 D5 with Brembo Brake conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completed a front brake swap (June 2020) on my 2017 D5 HSE LUX, with 2016 RRS SVR Calipers and Power Stop Z36 Drilled/Slotted Rotors and pads

It is a direct swap. No need to remove the backing plate.
Simple as removing the old caliper, replace the crush washers and bolting back together with new pads and rotors.

The calipers are actually a little smaller than the factory D5/LR4 Calipers.
Prior to installing the calipers I had to use a 10mm wheel spacer for my 20" RRS wheels.

Here are a few pictures
IMG_20210316_152946.jpg
20200628_134002.jpg

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You installed your Power Stop rotors incorrectly. The slots are supposed to be pointed toward the front at the outer edge of the rotors, which means you have the left rotor on the right side and vice versa. It's counter-intuitive until you think about it and realize that having the slots pointed into the wind at the outer edge of the rotor as the wheel rotates helps keep the rotors cooler. Installing the rotors the way that seems logical completely defeats the purpose of the slots.

The reason I know this is true is because I installed a set of cryogenically hardened StopTech slotted rotors and ceramic Power Stop pads on my 2017 D5. I had intended to install the rotors the way you did but the StopTech installation instructions emphasized the proper direction of the slots and explained why it was important. The rotor boxes and rotors were prominently labelled LEFT and RIGHT. Hopefully you haven't driven it yet and can correct the error. It it's too late for you to swap the rotors left to right, you'll still get normal braking. You just won't get the rotor cooling benefit of the slots you paid extra for.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forcing the gases inward upon forward wheel rotation and brake application? I assume you want the gases moving towards the outside of the rotor. Makes sense. There is a sticker on the rotor, what does it say? What I cannot unsee is that final outer drill hole. Why is it not lined up with the others?

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You installed your Power Stop rotors incorrectly. The slots are supposed to be pointed toward the front at the outer edge of the rotors, which means you have the left rotor on the right side and vice versa. It's counter-intuitive until you think about it and realize that having the slots pointed into the wind at the outer edge of the rotor as the wheel rotates helps keep the rotors cooler. Installing the rotors the way that seems logical completely defeats the purpose of the slots.

The reason I know this is true is because I installed a set of cryogenically hardened StopTech slotted rotors and ceramic Power Stop pads on my 2017 D5. I had intended to install the rotors the way you did but the StopTech installation instructions emphasized the proper direction of the slots and explained why it was important. The rotor boxes and rotors were prominently labelled LEFT and RIGHT. Hopefully you haven't driven it yet and can correct the error. It it's too late for you to swap the rotors left to right, you'll still get normal braking. You just won't get the rotor cooling benefit of the slots you paid extra for.

No, you're wrong in this case.
Let's not confuse cooling, with the reason the slots are there in the first place (remove gases from the rotor surface and to "scrape" the pads clean).
SLOTS Primary Purpose is not for cooling.

1st - The rotors are clearly labeled left (Drivers Side) and right (Passenger Side). So can't really screw it up. And Yes I called to clarify if the "Passenger Side" was American or British Passenger side :)

2nd You want the leading edge to be in line with that of the rotation, which in this case because of the reward caliper, is the inward edge towards the hub. If you have the outer edge make contact first then the slots would force the dust and gasses towards the hub. Causing dust build up. Also the gases would be forced into a more turbulent environment, and not allow for easy disbursement. This also help eliminate dust build up on the wheels, as the dust and gases are dispersed into a higher velocity air environment.

3rd - The rotors cooling fins should pull air from the middle of the hub outwards, like an impeller. In the case the of the Power Stop rotors, they are in line with the slots.

My EBC's installed the same way.

I appreciate your feedback, but let's be honest. The drilled and slotting do absolutely nothing for a passenger car. I do them mostly for aesthetics. Like putting a sticker on your Honda, good for at least another 2-3hp :)

I never noticed the drill hole in the last position... Probably has to do with the larger rotor, being drilled on on a smaller rotor layout. These are huge rotors, so was probably an afterthought.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you're wrong in this case.
Let's not confuse cooling, with the reason the slots are there in the first place (remove gases from the rotor surface and to "scrape" the pads clean).
SLOTS Primary Purpose is not for cooling.

1st - The rotors are clearly labeled left (Drivers Side) and right (Passenger Side). So can't really screw it up. And Yes I called to clarify if the "Passenger Side" was American or British Passenger side :)

2nd You want the leading edge to be in line with that of the rotation, which in this case because of the reward caliper, is the inward edge towards the hub. If you have the outer edge make contact first then the slots would force the dust and gasses towards the hub. Causing dust build up. Also the gases would be forced into a more turbulent environment, and not allow for easy disbursement. This also help eliminate dust build up on the wheels, as the dust and gases are dispersed into a higher velocity air environment.

3rd - The rotors cooling fins should pull air from the middle of the hub outwards, like an impeller. In the case the of the Power Stop rotors, they are in line with the slots.

My EBC's installed the same way.

I appreciate your feedback, but let's be honest. The drilled and slotting do absolutely nothing for a passenger car. I do them mostly for aesthetics. Like putting a sticker on your Honda, good for at least another 2-3hp :)

I never noticed the drill hole in the last position... Probably has to do with the larger rotor, being drilled on on a smaller rotor layout. These are huge rotors, so was probably an afterthought.

I'm learning a lot about slotted rotors as I study this subject. According to https://www.zeckhausen.com/, the direction of the cooling vanes between the rotor plates is what determines the proper direction of the slots; not the direction of the slots themselves. I'll continue to research the benefits (if any) of slotted rotors before coming to a conclusion. The benefits of cryogenically hardened rotors are well established and will always be my top requirement when purchasing brake rotors.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh I see your pics are from the left side of your car, I thought I was looking at he right side. I like the the calipers, not sure about the holes and such.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh I see your pics are from the left side of your car, I thought I was looking at he right side. I like the the calipers, not sure about the holes and such.

My picture is from the Right/Passenger side of the car.
Hence the caliper towards the rear of the rotor.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah ok I had it back asswards. The sweep makes sense. Next time arrows please lol. Only Brembo calipers I have seen were mounted on the leading edge not the rear so that is what must be confusing my small brain. How is the braking? You probably have more brake than tire.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah ok I had it back asswards. The sweep makes sense. Next time arrows please lol. Only Brembo calipers I have seen were mounted on the leading edge not the rear so that is what must be confusing my small brain. How is the braking? You probably have more brake than tire.

It is much improved, especially in the cold.
I live in a hilly/mountainous area and see no brake fade.
The stock brakes faded a little when towing, but not any more.

TBH I did it more for the looks (did the same to my LR4), the improved braking performance was a welcomed bonus.
If you patient you can find the calipers for a reasonable price, throw rebuild at them for another $100 and you are a few hundred over what a regular brake replacement would have cost you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick