2017 HSE odd roar or hum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce Stewart

Reaction score
I just bought a "certified preowned" 2017 HSE with 15,000 miles on it. I thought the tires were a little noisy but after a while I realized it was not related to the tires. from about 55 or 60 up to 83 mph there is an odd hum of about 200hz. My wife says B flat below middle C ;). The frequency doesn't change with speed. It doesn't change under throttle or coasting. It sounds like a panel resonating. Going over bridges seems to make it louder. The road surface seems to make it louder or softer but the frequency is fixed. The dealer has tried everything to fix it and finally I drove another one just like it on the lot and it had the same sound but not as loud. If this is common to these how do they sell them? Anybody experience this? I have driven an Evoque and a Velar and they have no unusual sounds at all jut normal tire noise. HELP! This sound gives my daughter a migraine.

Bruce Stewart

Reaction score
Here's an update. The sound is closer to 384Hz. I now believe the air springs (bags) are resonating and I can't see any way to stop it or dampen it. I can't believe Land Rover doesn't have a fix or even put out a vehicle with this problem. I spent a lot of money to get what I thought was a quiet car, nope, a Chevy Yukon is quieter. The sound goes down a couple of dB when I switch to Sport mode.

Bruce Stewart

Reaction score
After 2,000 miles and a long road trip I’m back to tire noise. On the right road it is very quiet but any “texture” to the surface and it is very noisy. The front tires seem to be like a drum and maybe the strut adds some. I started with 22’s and now have 20’s but there seems to be little difference. I don’t want to buy four more tires just to find out it doesn’t help. Has anyone tried the quiet tires with the urethane insert?

Bg2pres

Reaction score
2017 Range Rovers, have 2 of them. One doesn’t do it with Perelli Zeros and the other does it with Perelli Scorpions…. The one with the scorpions has 75000 on it and needs front struts. The one with the zeros has 76000 and strust are fine…. I don’t know if it’s the front struts or not, but I believe it’s a lack of oil dampening in the front struts and need replacing…. Why? Because the scorpions are Highway radials and are 20”s…. The Zeros are performance 22s. There is no way the scorpions should sound louder than performance zeros on the supercharged one…. Just my .02c…

Bruce Stewart

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. You are correct, the 20's should be quieter. The noise I have seems to be mostly on the driver's side. I don't think the dealer looked at the struts but they sure looked at everything else and changed several parts at their expense. I was in a loaner for a month. After they gave up they found a vehicle identical to mine and we went for a ride in it. It made the same sound maybe a little less loud, hard to say. It would be strange but not impossible to have a bad strut so soon.
The strut keeps coming to my mind because of the "drum" like sound. Very rapid drum but there is definitely a resonance cavity like the tire or air strut.

Last edited:

brianscott

Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

I have a 2017 RR diesel and have the exact same issue of the drum sound. Tires are new and it’s only on the drivers side. Any idea what could be causing the issue? On interstate driving very quite but on no so smith roads it enough to drive you crazy. Thanks. Brian

Bg2pres

Reaction score
DITTO…. I have a 2017 HSE V6 SC. Same thing! I changed the front suspension, air bags and struts, no help. I have the 20” wheels and scorpions.

Have a 2017 V8 SC same vehicle, yet, 22” and zeros…. Best riding car ever!

Makes no sense…

Last edited:

Vflo

Reaction score
Check your control arms. Most mechanics hit suspension right away because RR is notorious for failing suspension and its an expensive repair. I found similar sounds to be my lower control arms.

Bg2pres

Reaction score
Vflo is correct. My control arms, lower, needs replacing..,

Bruce Stewart

Reaction score
I have a box of mass loaded vinyl squares. I wonder if there are some places to stick it on that might help. Anyone have any suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72