2019 RRS turbo failure after only 10,000kms!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verTego5000

Reaction score
I’ve had a 2019 P400e Autobiography since new and drive it relatively little, around 5,000km (3,100 miles) per year on average.

last month, at just over 10,000kms (6,200 miles), the turbo failed on the 2-litre petrol (gas) engine. The car is a plug-in hybrid, so most of my short trips are using electric power only… This means that the 2-litre engine has actually done waaay less mileage!

The turbo was replaced by the dealer free of charge within a couple of days, but it’s really made me think about the way these engines are perhaps badly designed. I say this because when the 2-litre engine kicks in, it’s usually due to power demand when driving in EV mode and this is almost always when accelerating. As a result, the engine has to come in with immediate high revs and load, which is probably terrible for many of the cold engine components, especially a turbo that might not have any oil pressure yet!

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any info on the AJ200 engine when coupled to the PHEV drivetrain? I’m hoping that the JLR engineers have some kind of turbo pre-lube system for these particular cars…

Any insight appreciated - thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72