1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Defender Design Team

Discussion in 'Defender' started by DonMitsu, Jul 29, 2020.

1. DonMitsu

DonMitsu Full Access Member

I am impatiently waiting for the Defender I ordered to arrive. I really love what they've done with this vehicle and after driving it, I knew it had to be our next vehicle. Here's a video I found of the design team walking through the design process.

Troy Angrignon likes this.
  2. Troy Angrignon

Troy Angrignon Full Access Member

At 9:39, they do that animation of how it's built - they should have used that as the launch video. Pretty cool.

DonMitsu likes this.
  3. Troy Angrignon

Troy Angrignon Full Access Member

I finally waded through that very long episode. Clearly a ton of very considered thought has gone into this vehicle. I think it's such a stark contrast to the Ineos launch video - both perfectly articulate the design ethos - and both are serving completely different segments. Grenadier is serving the hardcore 4WD market and Land Rover is building on what they've done in the last 10 years by, as they say, balancing the 4 elements of "modernity, relevance, sustainability, desirability". I have a feeling the Ineos team's 4 key elements were "tough, bullet-proof, functional, durable".

LR had design drive engineering. Ineos had engineering lead design.

To each their own. And I can't wait for you to get yours so we can hear all about it!

DonMitsu and PaulLR3 like this.
  4. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

After watching the Grenadier videos, I knew I didn't want or need one. I will never need to take a trip across a desolate continent. I do need a vehicle that is mainly an on-road vehicle with capability to drive through unplowed snowy roads in winter and soft beach sand in the summer.

Our Honda Passport can easily do this, but without an air suspension it can't carry heavy boxes which my job requires. And the Defender qualifies for the section 179 tax break.

DonMitsu and Troy Angrignon like this.