2020 defender off road pack - rear locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
very few defenders come to the US with the off road pack which has the rear locker. if you want this option you are most likely having to buy one fully equipped which is almost the same price as a range rover...like 90k! if i buy one without the off road pack can i add a factory rear locker after?

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine with the rear locker back in July and it's currently scheduled to come in late October. When we purchased the LR4 the HD package was rare, but with the inventory crunch from the factories being shut down from COVID, it's impossible to find a rear locker on an in stock Defender.

Reaction score
I ordered mine with the rear locker back in July and it's currently scheduled to come in late October. When we purchased the LR4 the HD package was rare, but with the inventory crunch from the factories being shut down from COVID, it's impossible to find a rear locker on an in stock Defender.
thanks for your reply. do you think i can add this after i get it? i assume its hardware and electrical

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your reply. do you think i can add this after i get it? i assume its hardware and electrical

It might be difficult initially. if it's cost prohibitive from the factory ARB may come out with an aftermarket rear locker. I don't know the answer, that's why I am still waiting on a vehicle lol

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very few defenders come to the US with the off road pack which has the rear locker. if you want this option you are most likely having to buy one fully equipped which is almost the same price as a range rover...like 90k! if i buy one without the off road pack can i add a factory rear locker after?
Given how hard/nearly impossible it is to add a factory locker to the LR3 I can’t imagine they made it any easier on the new defender. It certainly wouldn’t be practical.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i shouldve just got a raptor/wrangler/bronco. it seems those are easier to play with
Those are belly button vehicles, everyone’s got one. There are literally more raptors around me than regular f-150s. Wranglers? 3 in every parking lot. I have no doubt the Defender will be supported very well by the aftermarket. When that happens you’ll get ARB lockers front and rear. However, you asked about retrofitting a factory unit which would be difficult on ANY of those mentioned. Given how well terrain response works many argue you don’t really need them. Have a little patience.

Reaction score
Those are belly button vehicles, everyone’s got one. There are literally more raptors around me than regular f-150s. Wranglers? 3 in every parking lot. I have no doubt the Defender will be supported very well by the aftermarket. When that happens you’ll get ARB lockers front and rear. However, you asked about retrofitting a factory unit which would be difficult on ANY of those mentioned. Given how well terrain response works many argue you don’t really need them. Have a little patience.

you're right...excited to see what we have coming. front and rear locker would be sweeeeet

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A little hard to tell where you are in the process, but why not just order a Defender the way you want it? I think you can order a nicely spec'd truck w the off road pack (rear locker incl.) for around $80K. But if you really need one that quickly, one that's from coming inventory that's not spoken for (good luck), just ask your JLR Dealer if they can add it?...(doubtful). Dealers can add certain 'factory options and accessories' as 'sticker' items before you take delivery, and that's for sure how I would want that done, if it were at all possible.
'Provenance' is important to knowledgeable buyers and key to the value of vehicles in that stratum.

Also, unless you can just write a check for it and the *warranty*! doesn't matter, I would advise against doing anything 'after market' to the drive train of the vehicle!

As far as the raptor/wrangler/bronco?- what m_lars said ! Different 'strata' entirely.

Side note: When I bought my 2016 'Landmark' in 6/16, inventory had dwindled, but I made my LR guy find me one w the HD Pack. If you're going to shell-out that kind of money for one of these things, why not have it's foundation be as capable as possible right out of the box?

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day Joseph Michael, ARB did make an aftermarket rear air-locker for the LR4, but had so many problems with fitting them to the last couple of years of D4. They then dropped the unit & said it was not suitable for D4. ARB's front air-locker works o.k. on D4's, but without a rear locker it's of questionable value. Another Aussie company; Harrop make a brilliant E-locker, based (I believer) on the Eaton unit,
however it will not fit the D4's diff housing. I've tried to convince them to re-engineer their unit to make it suitable for D4 (and D5) but they're not interested even though the market for such a unit is expanding due to D4's becoming a little more affordable here on the used market.
You cannot fit a LR rear diff lock to an existing vehicle as it must be factory-built-in to the terrain system electronics. From this forum I recall that a couple of guys in the U.S. have successfully fitted them, but
maybe they're engineering & electronics geniuses. Dealers can't & won't do it.
I could not imagine that new Defender would be any different. Maybe contact Harrop to see if they've looked at Defenders diff housing specs.
Here in Oz I don't expect to see many new Defenders in the Bush as they're much too expensive with the
packages. The current Toyota Landcruiser 200 series & Toyota 79's are more affordable & Toyota has
dealers even in more remote parts of our vast land that can fix them - unlike Land Rover!!
If you really want a Defender that can handle every terrain imaginable then bite the bullet & pay the price
for a package with rear diff lock. I won't be - my D4 with its terrain system, Compo wheels & KO2 tires
& good protection gear can get me in and OUT of anywhere I want to go - AND it's bigger than Defender
& has a full chassis that can take all the aftermarket gear anyone could possibly need - unlike Defender.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA