275/70R18 any Luck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve T

Reaction score
STOCK 2011 LR4 HSE
GAP iiD suspension lift

has anyone had any luck with this size or similar tire? I am looking at BFG KM3. minimal trimming preferred. I'm not eager to make any frame cutting or use spacers.
I am using Mudtech Raid 18x8.5 wheels.

Steve T

Reaction score
ended up with 265/65R18. BFG KO2 ALL TERRAINS.

i like them. quiet on the road. and very good road handling and off-road use has been light so far but intend to test them out at a off-road gathering next month!

63F659EC-3DC3-46E5-93FA-388D2B17A983.jpeg

E9A37BF4-B872-404E-A8B4-159424A9DC3D.jpeg

3D3E3A9A-FB6B-4A0A-8C84-8E6799F96029.jpeg

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run K02's in that size on Compomotive wheels.

For full disclosure, I also run Proud Rhino strut spacers and a 48mm lift full time. My truck has also had the usual mods done; horns cut, EAS harness relocated, shark fins cut, heater hoses re-routed, GOE Emergency Air, GAP Tool, On-board air.

With that combination, I only get a tiny (and I mean tiny) rub on the plastic of the drivers front wheel on the innermost forward bottom edge. It could be easily trimmed or re-shaped, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Without cutting the frame horns, I think you would find this size a hard no-go. Also, consider that without the requisite mods, if your EAS takes a dump you WILL be immobile. With the complimentary mods I listed above, the only thing you would not be able to deal with before breaking out tools would be an actual rupture in the air bag of one of the struts.

That said, in a year or two when my current tires wear out, I will be looking to go another size larger, and not the other direction. I am reasonably confident a 34" tire can be made to work without any further mods to the truck, other than trimming my TR sliders which significantly protrude into the forward wheel wells.

32.5" and up is where it gets real on these trucks IMO. They can be made to work, but you need to think about how far down the modification road you are willing to go.

You probably made a good decision based on your initial post.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day Avslash. I now have my APT Offroad sliders fitted, plus APT compressor guard, air-tank guard & transmission/transfer case guard. All fitted in Brisbane at their own facility. Great job!
My BFG KO2's in 265/60-18's on new Compomotive 18"'s are performing great. Quiet on road, good in wet, excellent on rough terrain & no apparent wear in 3000 miles.
My Melbourne tire store advised that I would have some slight rubbing on full-lock if I'd gone for 265/65's.
Maybe our right-hand drive models are a little different in the wheel wells? The difference in sidewall height is negligible to my eye. I'm more interested in sidewall strength as I get into very flinty rock country in South Australia's Flinders Ranges. My new Brown Davis 110 liter aux. tank & Kaymar rear bar with wheel carrier performed perfectly during my just completed 3000 mile run from Melbourne into Queensland & back. Just need to get a Safari Snorkel & my mods are virtually finished.
I'm keeping this 2014 D4 3.00 liter diesel forever!!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day Avslash. I now have my APT Offroad sliders fitted, plus APT compressor guard, air-tank guard & transmission/transfer case guard. All fitted in Brisbane at their own facility. Great job!
My BFG KO2's in 265/60-18's on new Compomotive 18"'s are performing great. Quiet on road, good in wet, excellent on rough terrain & no apparent wear in 3000 miles.
My Melbourne tire store advised that I would have some slight rubbing on full-lock if I'd gone for 265/65's.
Maybe our right-hand drive models are a little different in the wheel wells? The difference in sidewall height is negligible to my eye. I'm more interested in sidewall strength as I get into very flinty rock country in South Australia's Flinders Ranges. My new Brown Davis 110 liter aux. tank & Kaymar rear bar with wheel carrier performed perfectly during my just completed 3000 mile run from Melbourne into Queensland & back. Just need to get a Safari Snorkel & my mods are virtually finished.
I'm keeping this 2014 D4 3.00 liter diesel forever!!

Good to hear. The 265/60's are definitely a "no issue" size once you get 18 inch wheels. The rub I referenced on mine is with the 275/70's.

I'm running the LRA tank from Aus, as well. Easily my favorite mod I have done to my truck.

I'm jealous of the your snorkel...:) Someday, maybe someone will figure out a solution for dual intake models in NA, but it hasn't happened yet.

Steve T

Reaction score
I ended up changing the EAS controller to an Xlifter controller. Awesome. has several preprogrammed height settings and can use it in manual mode with 10-20mm increment challenges. the best part I like is the "AutoLevel" feature. Best used for leveling the vehicle with a RoofTop tent!

BTW... no rubbing with the 265/65R18 at full lock. I'd like a larger/wider tire someday but for now...I'll test these out for about 40k miles

if anyone in the US would like info on the Xlifter, let me know. I may be the only one in the country using it! LOL
(I am new Distributor for them)
:beer:

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day again Avslash, Is the dual intake in NA only applicable to the V8? Does it draw air from BOTH side
fender vents? If so, it'd be a major plumbing job to reroute the air. We have so many creek crossings
especially on our east coast that a snorkel is great insurance in Winter when levels are up.
Is your LRA tank separate from the OE tank? Or does it pump into the OE tank like the Brown Davis unit
I've fitted? The diesel always draws fuel from the OE tank. With the two tanks I can now have almost 51 US gallons onboard if needed. I pump about 20 liters from the aux unit when the OE tank drops to about 3/4 full. It gets a bit more weight forward. It gives me something to do on very long highway runs!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, air intakes for the NA models ( V8 & V6) are both front fenders. I need someone to 3d print a mirror image of one of the existing snorkels so I can run one on each. It would look goofy, but it would work.

My tank works the same as yours. It is made for diesels in AUS. I just adapted it to work in my NA model. It holds about 50 gallons in total, as well.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had all 8 fuel injectors replaced, only 1 was bad but you don't do all that work to only fix one while you are in there. Indy said there was a good bit of sand in there, so yeah a snorkel would be nice for water crossings and general dust. My friend just returned his 16' off of a lease and gave me his K&N filters. He said it made a difference on the response on his V6. I'm actually going to give it back to him because I can't risk more debris in the engine. I've got almost 110K miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut