3 blissful weeks with my meticulously maintained ‘15 LR4 and then dread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westporter

Reaction score
I bought a one owner dealer maintained ‘15 LR4 which has been meticulously dealer maintained. It has been wonderful until an incident today. About 5 miles into a 35 mile drive in rain and a long way from any services the car started to stutter when I hit the accelerator, the shaking was very violent, you could feel the heft of the car as it struggled either to deliver fuel or that in some combination of transmission failure. I had just swapped it 3 weeks ago from a Land Cruiser which hadn’t given me a second of trouble in 2 years of ownership. Dread and regret immediately came over me but it also felt like an electronic issue not because I have any knowledge but just an intuition. With that thought, I pulled over and turned off the car, waited a moment, restarted and continued on my merry way for a 75+ mile round trip. Not a whiff of the trouble from earlier, as if the problem went away. Now however, I am left wondering if this is the harbinger of a future larger issue or just some combination of events that may never happen again (rain, a stick stuck in a sensor - reaching here i have no idea). Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? As a former Toyota person I used to scoff at LR’s because of their reliability reputation even though I have always admired their form. I never had a concern about jumping in my car, family in tow in the middle of the night if I wanted but no I have a concern about whether or not my fears about reliability may eventually be realized.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's under warranty let the dealer worry about it, if not get an iid tool and see what codes are set. No real point in speculation without more info.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's under warranty let the dealer worry about it, if not get an iid tool and see what codes are set. No real point in speculation without more info.

This.

Did it throw any codes? How many miles on your vehicle? Options? Original battery or has it been changed? What sort of service history? Did you fill up right before this happened? Etc. etc. etc.

I feel you coming from Toyota and all, but that doesn't really help us diagnose an issue.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with others. There will be plenty of time to freak out (or sigh in relief) once you have some fault codes.

I had the same feeling several weeks ago when my check engine light came on. Flipped out a little and then thought "it is what is is." Turned out to be a bad O2 sensor that was fixed for $300.

Welcome to the world of Land Rover ownership. Never a dull moment!

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a one owner dealer maintained ‘15 LR4 which has been meticulously dealer maintained. It has been wonderful until an incident today. About 5 miles into a 35 mile drive in rain and a long way from any services the car started to stutter when I hit the accelerator, the shaking was very violent, you could feel the heft of the car as it struggled either to deliver fuel or that in some combination of transmission failure. I had just swapped it 3 weeks ago from a Land Cruiser which hadn’t given me a second of trouble in 2 years of ownership. Dread and regret immediately came over me but it also felt like an electronic issue not because I have any knowledge but just an intuition. With that thought, I pulled over and turned off the car, waited a moment, restarted and continued on my merry way for a 75+ mile round trip. Not a whiff of the trouble from earlier, as if the problem went away. Now however, I am left wondering if this is the harbinger of a future larger issue or just some combination of events that may never happen again (rain, a stick stuck in a sensor - reaching here i have no idea). Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? As a former Toyota person I used to scoff at LR’s because of their reliability reputation even though I have always admired their form. I never had a concern about jumping in my car, family in tow in the middle of the night if I wanted but no I have a concern about whether or not my fears about reliability may eventually be realized.
are you absolutely sure it wasn't the "ol' Banana in the tailpipe joke"

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
I had an extremely similar issue a while back in my Cayenne. The original owner had garaged it, but a mouse/mice still had been able to get in and had chewed some of the wiring. The dealer's service dept. was able to repair the damaged wiring instead of having to replace an entire harness.

abolton

Reaction score
I had a similar issue, however it did not resolve with a simple on/off. One of the high-pressure fuel pumps malfunctioned and put the truck into "limp mode" It was about $1500 to replace both pumps. I use a private Rover mechanic and he recommends a fuel system cleaner every 5k miles or so.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s a fuel system cleaner? If it’s some product you dump into your gas tank, what would you recommend?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut