30k miles of annoying brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 LR4. I love it except for one super annoying issue.

Whenever I stop and start driving after parking, or have parked overnight my rear brakes squeal like crazy (not when in use) driving under 20mph. This started around 5k. Which leads to me having to stop pull on the emergency brake and release it sometimes more than once to get the grinding to stop. This isn't milds squeaking but metal on metal extremely loud noise.

I have repeatedly brought my truck into Flatirons LandRover (12 separate times) and they keep saying that brakes just squeak, they can't replicate and so forth. It's driving me crazy. I have provided them will cellphone video, recordings etc. After owning more than 20 automobiles I keep explaining to them I understand what squeaky brakes are, this isn't that.

Reluctantly I had the brakes replaced at 24k. This problem still exists and is worse than ever.

Has anyone else had this experience? I can't take it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that your electronic parking brake module, cable, or the parking brake shoes themselves are the culprit.

If you are still under warranty, you probably don't want to mess with it yourself, but if you do, google "Bodseys Brake Bible". It is a very detailed write up of the front, rear, and parking brakes on these vehicles.

It details the adjustment procedure, and replacement procedure for the parking brake.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the rear parking brake isn't adjusted properly. Since the parking brake and the standard brakes are separate systems--the standard brakes are disc brakes that work on the edge of the rotors, while the parking brake is a drum brake that works inside the rotor--I don't see how pulling on a parking brake would stop squeeling if it was your standard brakes.

Here's how it's done: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/just-picked-up-ebc-pads-and-rotors.25419/page-2#post-146214

You can start by just trying out the "bed in" procedure, as it doesn't require removing your wheels to attempt. That may be enough to remove any interference that's causing the squeeling.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else that is easy to try would be to remove the rear wheels and give a few smart taps with a hammer/mallet around the circumference of the wheel mating face on the brake rotor where the wheel studs are located.

This is a step when doing a brake job to "settle" the parking brake shoes.

The more I think about this, the more I tend to think you probably have a parking brake shoe out of position inside a rear rotor. It is a three handed job to get them in correctly, so not impossible somebody put it back together wrong when doing a brake job.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, it has technically been happening since purchase.. worse yet through a brake replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi