5.0 Injector Lifespan? Worth replacing during Timing Chain job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltyfly

Reaction score
Im having a full timing chain job done on my '12 LR4 next week (precautionary before it becomes a real issue other than annoying noise).

I would like to have as much completed while the engine is opened up.

It has 66k, what is the expected lifespan of the injectors? Is it worth having them replaced now?

Also, does Bosch manufacture the injectors for Jag/LR? The Genuine Landrover injectors are outrageously priced, but the Bosch injectors Atlantic British sells are reasonable. Are they identical to the factory original?

Thank you!

dwizum

Reaction score
Prior owner replaced the injectors in my truck around 90k miles according to a receipt I have. Not sure why, just providing as a data point. It was actually at the same time as the timing chain and guides.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing injectors with only 66K miles on them is a big waste of money but a big profit to whoever is doing the work.
Injectors can perform like new if they are first flow checked and recorded before cleaning then been flushed forwards and backwards.
Checked flow amounts ending up with a matched (flow) set from idle to max engine rpm's (pulse width aka duty cycle) simulated on an injection machine.
Looking for no leakers, plus the proper spray pattern a must, short duty cycle like at idle plus high duty cycle (80 -90%) with simulated high engine rpm's flow checked. A cleaned and balanced flow set does wonders in smooth engine performance, quick starts with increased MPG.
Have seen several injector sets cleaned and checked that had over 250K miles on them reinstalled good to go again.

Bosch 4 hole injectors spray a finer fuel pattern than the single hole Lucas dribble injectors removed off my 95 D1 (4.6 litre) engine.
Passes smog checks running too clean at Star station in Kalif.
Used Bosch injectors removed from three 351 ci Ford Broncos at Pick-n-Pull. Ended up with a set of twelve injectors (4 spares) flowing within 3/4% each other. Racing injectors within 1% max.
Factory installed injectors can flow a 17% difference between each other, rather sad and sick as, "good enough".

.....~~=o&o>.....

Saltyfly

Reaction score
I don’t understand your comment about “big profit for who ever is doing the work” comment. They have to be removed for the timing chain job, so the the new injectors would be reinstalled at no additional cost to me (other than the price of the injectors - about $800 from Atlantic British).

Where can the service you describe be performed? Seemes like a pretty specialized process.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to the OP. Did you have timing chain/tensioner noise?

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saltyfly,
can you post that TSB on this chain guide issues?
Got my attention and curiosity up about this issue.
In the past looking at high mileage Mercedes engines with worn chain
guides but these engines had way over 200K miles on them.
I'd consider that as normal wear for the mileage.
I bet in your case just before hearing noisy chain drives the guides were already worn past normal service limits before the 40K mile mark.
The cost of maintaining $$$ should of been posted in the new LR handout literature.
.....~~=o&o>.....

Jomcool

Reaction score
It seems that injector problems are pretty rare in these engines. If you weren’t having issues, I wouldn’t recommend messing with them.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that injector problems are pretty rare in these engines. If you weren’t having issues, I wouldn’t recommend messing with them.

I hope Saltyfly is reading your reply and saving $800 for other important repairs.
Made up a set of six 24# Bosch injectors being pushed from 3.0 stock to 3.5 BARS testing on five different late 80's era 325is BMW's on track days.
New inline fuel filters on all vehicles plus these injectors are not being treated very well and still performing as a flow matched set going on three years and counting.
Drained and purged with STA-BIL fogging oil then tossed into a Zip Lock bag.
Unless your running contaminated bad gas in Mexico injectors are rather robust provided they operate on a well filtered system.
.....~~=o&o>.....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72