5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Let me kick this particular conversation off with where I’m at. I’ve got a 2010 LR4 with about 170K miles on it. The engine is slightly overdue for all the timing chain fun, but it’s also developing a coolant issue. Before you ask, the water pump and crossover tube are fine (although I’m in the process of making a swap to a electric pump/fan). Unfortunately, the more I look into it, the more it looks like the head gasket is beginning to go out. (The more I look around, 170-185K seems to be a failure point for the head gaskets in these engines...of course I’m specifically looking for that too, so you never know.)

So here’s my dilemma:

-All the parts to do a head gasket/timing chain maintenance add up to about $5-$6K (when the tools and head machine work are factored in).
-A used NA 5.0 runs between $5-8K
-A used SC 5.0 runs about $7-$9K

As far as I can tell, the everything between the RRS and LR4 was the same except the extra coolant line, engine ECU and radiator. So, since I’m rebuilding the cooling system, the swap should be fairly easy....SHOULD being the key word. The extra HP would be really nice for what I consider to be not a significant increase in “repair” cost.

BIG question, has anyone every actually tried this before? Or would I be the first sucker to attempt it?

Looking forward to your responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this swap as well, for quite a while. Would love to hear someone's educated thoughts. As far as I know, the trans is the same. Would love the extra power.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the trans/driveline was my biggest fear, but as far as I can tell, they’re identical!

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to see this done, and, of course, the RRS is just a chopped D4, so... this seems like one of the easiest swaps possible.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this as well a while back. Everything is I identical on the cars. In order to do this you to only have to takeoff the intake manifold in throttle body and with the supercharged throttlebody and intake manifold and supercharger. I’ve seen used ones going for about $1300. My biggest fear though the cooling system, not quite sure if there are any extra lines that run to the supercharger that the LR4 doesn’t have. I didn’t want to have to redo the whole cooling system so I bailed on the plan a while back but if you are able to still do it definitely let me know I’d love the 510 HP that the supercharged rrs puts out.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pistons are different on the supercharged engine to drop the compression ratio. Unfortunately, just bolting a supercharger on isn’t going to work, it’s kinda got to be a full engine swap....or maybe I’ll rebuild my block with the different pistons and add a supercharger. [emoji848]

I may even be able to do that with the engine in the frame.....hmmmmm.....

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was also thinking a full engine swap out of a wrecked donor RRS, along with the ECU, etc. Retrofitting the SC to a normal engine might be a lot of work.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the parts source! I was most likely going to use eBay for a donor engine. Although, I’m starting to think I may yank mine out and rebuild it from the ground up....it MAY be cheaper. May being the key word!

Although a w low mileage drop in has its appeal as well!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA