5.0 v8 timing chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flipster103

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2012 lr4 with 73k on the clock. The engine is quiet, and buttery smooth. Unfortunately, I can't find any information on whether my timing chains were ever done, and I know the 2010-2012 5.0 V8s are notorious for having timing chain issues that need to be corrected (there was a TSB about this).

Just out of curiosity though, how many owners have had issues with their timing chains on the 5.0 v8s?

How many of you have had no issues, and what mileage are you at?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No timing chain issues at 112K miles & 32K miles. But both of mine are 2013's which have some sort of "new & improved" timing chain guides over the 2010-2012 version.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Review the oil change interval. Should be 7500 or less. I change mine twice a year whether I'm at 7500 or earlier.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably easier to do a search and scroll the results.

We have reported cases of 300,000 miles on original timing chains and we have reported cases of replacement around 50-60K miles.

There are at least 2 members here who have done the replacement themselves, as well.

There is some anecdotal evidence that later production 2012's got the updated tensioners. There is also anecdotal evidence that some 2013 and newer trucks still suffered from the same issue.

Bottom line; change your oil earlier than the factory recommended interval and hope for the best, but keep an ear open for signs of trouble and have a plan.

Robuk

Reaction score
Were the 300,000 mile cars pre stop/start technology and did they have duplex chains, my theory is that the thousands of extra starts from that system may be causing these earlier failures. Overcoming the moment of inertia at each startup is when most loading occurs on the timing chain, well that`s the conclusion reached in a scientific study relating to bicycle chains and I can`t see it being any different on vehicle timing chains, one is overcoming the moment with peddle power the other with a starter motor.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were the 300,000 mile cars pre stop/start technology and did they have duplex chains, my theory is that the thousands of extra starts from that system may be causing these earlier failures. Overcoming the moment of inertia at each startup is when most loading occurs on the timing chain, well that`s the conclusion reached in a scientific study relating to bicycle chains and I can`t see it being any different on vehicle timing chains, one is overcoming the moment with peddle power the other with a starter motor.

The only stop/start vehicles are 2014 and newer. All have the 3.0 SCV6.

The bulk of LR4s with timing chain guide issues are 2012 and older with the 5.0 V8.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of 5.0's had duplex timing chains.

There are 3 chains in total. One for each cylinder bank's camshafts and one for the accessory drive (oil pump). All are single row chains.

Travis

Reaction score
I have 97,500 miles on my 2011 LR4 (5.0L V8) and hopefully don't have timing chain issues. Mine has never been done. I'm the second owner for the last 22,500 miles. The original owner had the oil changed yearly at the dealership with Castrol Edge 5W-20 for the first 75,000 miles and I've had the oil changed yearly since with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W20 every year (approx. 8,200 miles/year). I asked my dealership about the timing change because I had concerns, but he said the dealership (Bergstrom Land Rover) hasn't seen too many timing change issues - maybe 3 total since the LR4 came out (and one was from a guy who, literally never changed his oil and the timing chain failed at 60,000 miles - apparently, no joke, the guy thought his vehicle was listed as "maintenance free"). The service tech said as far as Land Rover issues go, that is lower on the list. There way more turbos that have to replaced on engines in LR vehicles like the Discovery Sport and Evoque he said.
My now ex-wife has the other 2011 LR4 we bought used 6.5years agowith 25k miles and she now has about 102,000 miles. That vehicle has had the oil changed yearly with the same Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W20.
Fingers crossed.
BTW, the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W20 oil meets the required specification for oil listed in the owner's manual for the LR4. I can easily get this oil most places and can better top it off if I need to versus the Castrol from the dealership.

dlonesty

Reaction score
I just had my timing chain done and my 2011 LR4 HSE Lux has 153000 miles on it. The tensioner for the oil pump was also changed out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA