75k mile service - diff and transfer case fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,
Just contemplating the 75k mile service on my 2010 LR4.
Beyond the aggravation of having to buy exorbitantly priced fluids from wherever, I though I would reach out re. ease of doing fluid changes on rear diff and transfer case. Obvs easy enough, but I am in Toronto and we have salty winters. Have horrible thoughts of stripping the plugs when trying to remove them (after applying heat and WD40). Transfer case is aluminum - correct?

Anyone from a northern climate done this re. any issues getting the fill / drain plugs undone?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Southern climate, so maybe not relevant, but mine came out fine.

I would also recommend doing the trans fluid at that mileage.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, underside pretty rusty.
Tranny fluid change recommended every 10 yrs i.e. next year, but probably better doing sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most have discovered that following Land Rover service recommendations on fluid changes is a great way to need a new Land Rover a lot sooner.
Second that...most independent mechanics would say change your transmission fluid between 60-70k miles. If you’re going to delay, might at least be worth draining and refilling (without filter change).

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, underside pretty rusty.
Tranny fluid change recommended every 10 yrs i.e. next year, but probably better doing sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
It’s not a bad job. Pan from AB is good setup. Get a mightyvac if you don’t have one. Makes filling a hell of a lot easier.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I will likely be at under 40k miles, I am considering doing all fluids and tranny this fall on the 6-year anniversary of my 2013. I'm trying to convince myself that 7 years and ~45k miles is ok so I can wait another year.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure your able to remove all your fill plugs first before removing any drain plugs.
Nothing worse than draining then not being able to remove those fill plugs.
Also clean around the fill and drain plugs before removing them as dirt and grit does not play well with internal machinery. This step not performed by dealerships as time is their enemy in regards to their profits. Crawling under a freshly fluids changed LR seeing dirt, grit and mud not been removed by servicing dealerships is flat criminal......~~=o&o>.....

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
Regarding fluids for tranny, diffs and transfer case - Fancy $$ fluids required from dealer or Atlantic British or the like, or are there alternative aftermarket options?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple is the only one I've found to have a suitable replacement for the transfer case or the rear (if fitted with a locker).

Regarding transmission fluid, my opinion is that it's best to stick with OE or the stuff Atlantic British sells.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA