'94 Disco not starting - need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beast36

Reaction score
All,

This is my first post, so I appreciate the support in advance. Here's the situation:

- 1994 Disco Series I
- ~135k miles
- owned for 3 x months
- Saturday: drove approximately 3 hours (highway & country roads)
- Sunday: same
- Monday am: drove 10 miles to work
- Monday pm: won't start

I tried jumping, but all I could get was power to the hazards, dim headlights, and it attempted to turnover once.
The battery is full and has enough juice to cold crank (had it tested twice at two different locations).
Replaced the battery cables.
Replaced the fuses (a couple were corroded).
Basically it's got juice, but it's not getting to the starter, and I'm afraid I've reached the limit of my technical know-how. I'd rather attempt to fix it before I have a mechanic chase gremlins for $300.hour.

All help is much appreciated!

Beast36

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly could be several things, corrosion in the fuse box, starter going bad, or even just the battery cables themselves could be bad. It would require some troubleshooting to even attempt to fix.

beast36

Reaction score
Thanks, Joey. I replaced the battery cables, and inspected the fuse box for corrosion, so I don't think it's either of those. The starter being bad has been the nagging issue on my mind from the beginning. Do you know of a way to test the starter? Appreciate it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Only way I know to test the starter is by pulling it and taking to a parts store with a tester.

waymore

Reaction score
Try tapping on the starter with a screwdriver or hammer handle, you just want to tap it a few times and then get in truck and try to crank it. If it cranks your starter is beginning to fail and needs to be replaced. Don't start whacking the hell out of it, you just need to give it a couple of raps like you would a glass you were trying to ring at a wedding reception,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure it's a starter your problem and not any of all the heavy cables from battery to starter and back to battery having dirty terminations? Thomas & Betts "KOPR-SHIED conductive anti-corrosive compound is your best friend (CP8-TB) applied to every starter connection.
On starters i've replaced several due to my 95 D1 being a soccer mom and school bus for 12 years all around town stop and goes. Had several Lucas as well Bosch starter failures until I installed a new ($85) Nippon starter. Between a handful of failed starters I used to rob and rebuild them.
Starter / alternator repair shop facility recommended I install a Nippon starter, best brand starter so far. Best part i'm able to bump start by myself being a 5 speed that has always got me home.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut