97 Discovery 4.0 oil change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much new oil should you put in a '97 Disco when changing the oil and filter? I thought it was about 7 quarts, but nothing was showing up on the dipstick, so I added another half quart and now it's looking like it went over the full line on the dipstick. It's hard to tell how much is in there... This oil I used is clearer than the stuff I've used in the past. I went with a lighter weight oil this time. I just forgot how much new oil it takes. It's really hard to judge the oil level on the dipstick. The new oil is a semi-synthetic 10w-30.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on if you change the filter. 7 quarts is what I use in mine 10-40w plus when I add 7 quarts I wait for a minute or two then I start the engine so the oil can cycle then turn off engine wait about 10 minutes and check it again so all the oil can drop to the pan. oil change 101.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help. I think I put in about a half quart too much then. I assume that's not good.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
1/2 quart is not great... but easy to fix... remove the oil filter.. drain and reapply. Start engine and check level.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks Joey, that's what I had planned but I wasn't sure if that was a great idea or not. I'll do that right now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi