About to make the jump to LR4 from Toyota 4Runner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minazaki

Reaction score
Hello all,

I think I've read pretty much every single thread in this LR4 forum - awesome community here, and it's really helped me in my decision making process.

My situation: I'm coming from 11 years of driving a 2000 Toyota 4Runner that just gave up the ghost after 165,000 miles (radiator/transmission, would have cost more than the value of the car to fix). I loved my 4Runner, and when it died, I just assumed that the transition to the 2011 4Runner would be easy. Boy was I wrong. I test drove it no less than 5 times, trying to like it, but I just hated what they'd done with the car over the past 11 years.

In the 6 weeks since that time, I've really fallen in love with the 2011 LR4. When I was a kid, I really wanted a Discovery, and now, I am finally very close to taking the leap of faith.

I guess my question is, has anyone here made a similar transition (4Runner --> LR4)? Any preparatory words of advice? I know that I need to be prepared to give it a little more TLC than I did my 4Runner (which, truthfully, only needed oil changes and gas), and probably more frequent trips to the dealer.

Anything else that I should consider before officially becoming an LR owner?

Thanks!

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went jeep to lr4........

these are great trucks, that ride well and feel solid......it is highly engineered.....it performs well, is very comfortable.......but also very complex......it has something like 900 different sensors and monitoring functions.......it is a huge step up in luxury from a 4-runner......

Gregorio

Reaction score
Not coming from Toyota. My LR4 replaced a GMC Yukon Denali but I also still have a VW Touareg and BMW X5. There are a lot of things that surprise me about the LR compared to the others. It is not as good off road as the VW or as stable in mountain driving as the BMW or as smooth as the GMC on the highway. The LR4 is not as one dimensional as the others and does them all so very well that it is the one car in the family that everyone wants to drive the most.

I think the biggest negative change you will notice is fuel economy. Of all the cars above (similar mid 300 HP V8 engines), it has the lowest driving range and tied the GMC for the worst gas mileage. Sure, there have been some minor problems and little details I wish LR would have improved but this is one great vehicle.

Gregorio

Reaction score
The VW has boatloads of low end torque and a very smart 4WD system with real locking differentials (rear and center only, IIRC). It relies less on wheel braking to maintain traction than the LR4 and climbs hills without slowing down. The torque lets me stay in high range in more places than the LR4. There is one trail on our ranch that is very steep and slippery especially in the wet. The LR4 cannot make it up more than half way unless it is perfectly dry. The VW does not miss a beat even in the wet. I would imagine that if my LR4 had the rear locker in the HD package it would make a difference.

All of the low end torque is a detriment to the VW in the city or mountain roads where the narrower power band causes more shifting to keep up. The transmission is good but it gets kind of jerky when driven harder.

One other thing that might be better in the VW is the CG. The LR4 feels more top heavy and I have less confidence on some sidehill maneuvers than I do in the VW. This is purely a seat of my pants feel but just looking at the two side by side, the VW looks like it carries its weight lower. Granted, I have 60,000 miles on the VW compared to 7,000 on the LR4. Maybe I am just a little more afraid of scratching the Rover so I don't push it as hard!

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minazaki,
I went from 4Runner to FJ Cruiser to LR4, and am totally happy with the LR4. We always had Toyotas (including my current pick up) but after years of happy 4Runner ownership, we were quite unhappy with the "updated" styling and handling changes from the 3rd to 4th generations, and when the FJ came out in 06, we jumped across from our 4th gen 4Runner. We owned the FJ for about 4 years, but its shortcomings were too much (suicide doors, massive blind spots, awful highway handling, road noise rear seat "legroom" etc etc). Last year, looking to get rid of the FJ, I assumed we would go back to the 5th Gen 4Runner, but was just completely underwhelmed by the 4Runner in all trim levels - styling, handling etc. 3 test drives and it was dead to me.
So we looked at the LR4, and completely loved it.
So, heres what you need to know in contrast/compare to the 4Runner. Be prepared for annoying minor issues. The A/V screen will mysteriously blank out for 5 minutes, the fuel indicator will read zero after every 11th fill up or at some other random time, then show full again, the drivers side wiper will need an adjustment the first time it snows....Things that would never come up with a Toyota.
Thats the bad stuff - now the good. The service department at your LR dealership will love your car as much as you do, and fix annoyances quickly (or give you a loaner for a longer fix) and freely; the car turns heads like no Toyota ever did; it is FUN to drive, and handles wonderfully for a beast its size; off road it feels as capable as the FJ (though I worry more about scratching it up a lot more); and for long haul highway driving - there is no comparison to the 4Runner, and the FJ was a joke.
The LR will have some "quirks" that no Toyota would ever show - primarily electrical. Mechanically, I think the LR is superior to the Toyotas I have owned - though I am not a mechanic and do not head outback for weeks at a time, so probably am not qualified to comment. If you accept that these quirks are part of the price of admission, you will simply love the LR.

Last edited:

minazaki

Reaction score
Minazaki,
I went from 4Runner to FJ Cruiser to LR4, and am totally happy with the LR4. We always had Toyotas (including my current pick up) but after years of happy 4Runner ownership, we were quite unhappy with the "updated" styling and handling changes from the 3rd to 4th generations, and when the FJ came out in 06, we jumped across from our 4th gen 4Runner. We owned the FJ for about 4 years, but its shortcomings were too much (suicide doors, massive blind spots, awful highway handling, road noise rear seat "legroom" etc etc). Last year, looking to get rid of the FJ, I assumed we would go back to the 5th Gen 4Runner, but was just completely underwhelmed by the 4Runner in all trim levels - styling, handling etc. 3 test drives and it was dead to me.
So we looked at the LR4, and completely loved it.
So, heres what you need to know in contrast/compare to the 4Runner. Be prepared for annoying minor issues. The A/V screen will mysteriously blank out for 5 minutes, the fuel indicator will read zero after every 11th fill up or at some other random time, then show full again, the drivers side wiper will need an adjustment the first time it snows....Things that would never come up with a Toyota.
Thats the bad stuff - now the good. The service department at your LR dealership will love your car as much as you do, and fix annoyances quickly (or give you a loaner for a longer fix) and freely; the car turns heads like no Toyota ever did; it is FUN to drive, and handles wonderfully for a beast its size; off road it feels as capable as the FJ (though I worry more about scratching it up a lot more); and for long haul highway driving - there is no comparison to the 4Runner, and the FJ was a joke.
The LR will have some "quirks" that no Toyota would ever show - primarily electrical. Mechanically, I think the LR is superior to the Toyotas I have owned - though I am not a mechanic and do not head outback for weeks at a time, so probably am not qualified to comment. If you accept that these quirks are part of the price of admission, you will simply love the LR.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking to hear, and you have just nudged me one step closer to pulling the trigger. I am completely on the same page as you as far as the most recent 4Runner redesign - can't stand it. Looks/feels/drives nothing like my 2000, which I loved. As far as the LR4 goes, I have totally fallen for it, and am more than willing to deal with those minor annoyances that you mention.

Out of curiosity do you have a 2010 or 2011?

Thanks again!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking to hear, and you have just nudged me one step closer to pulling the trigger. I am completely on the same page as you as far as the most recent 4Runner redesign - can't stand it. Looks/feels/drives nothing like my 2000, which I loved. As far as the LR4 goes, I have totally fallen for it, and am more than willing to deal with those minor annoyances that you mention.

Out of curiosity do you have a 2010 or 2011?

Thanks again!

Just adding my 2-cents.

Have you decided between getting the HSE (non-lux) and the higher-end Lux model?

I spent a lot of time comparing the two models and would like to share my experience.

Although the Lux model is absolutely beautiful, it’s primed for the suburban market. The “American” dreamer as they say in marketing. Must have it all, must have the best. And yes, it is just that, the best. But do you need it?

I personally wanted something a little more Land Rover-traditional, something that would merge both the luxury basics into utilitarian requirements. Something luxurious, but without all the gizmos – I’m a little old school. The HSE (non-Lux) fits this bill very nicely.

Anyway, by reading your posts, and considering you’re coming from one of the best utilitarian trucks made, the 4Runner, you might want to check out both models in person before you purchase.

I ended up purchasing a 2010 HSE (non-lux) and have had zero problems.

Last edited:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also came from a 4runner to an LR4. I agree with the above poster that you will need to get ready for more than just driving and filling up as these LRs do have electrical "gremlins" that are annoying at times. I've also had issues with the gas level but there was a TSB for the sender sensor and the dealer replaced it. lately, my radio has randomly lost sound but turning the car off and waiting a few minutes to restart "resets it".

In addition, your oil changes will be expensive($300 from what I've heard) and brakes don't seem to last very long given there size and weight of the truck. Cost for that work if you don't do your own brakes will be around $800 for all 4 pads and rotors. I also suggest that you plan to get an extended warranty around 32-36k if you plan on keeping the truck longer than 5 years. A warranty through LR is estimated around 3-4k depending on how you draw it up. I know alot of people have chosen Ford ESP, which is offered at some of the LR dealers, but make sure you go through your dealer and be extremely careful with third party companies.

All of this info isn't to scare you but coming from a very reliable 4runner where the cost of ownership is nothing, you should be aware of the drastic difference, which includes the gas mileage. Even with all of this, I've had 3 4runners(01, 04 and 08) and this is my favorite truck out of all. I have a 2010 HSE lux and must say the extras are worth it for me.

Good luck!

minazaki

Reaction score
Count Laszlo and ougrad1,

Thank you guys for your input, it's been really helpful as I inch closer to pulling the trigger. I really appreciate it.

The one thing that really concerns me of what you mentioned, ougrad1, is the cost of a regular oil change. $300? Is this for real? The estimate my dealer gave me was $120, but also comforted me saying that it was only necessary "every 15,000 miles." I don't know how I feel about the 15,000 mile part, but I can certainly deal with the $120 figure. $300, I don't know about that.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut