AC Not Blowing Cold...Sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael99b

Reaction score
I have a 2013 LR4 V8 with 59k miles. Recently the AC intermittently blows cold for several minutes and then warm for several minutes. It does this whether the settings are on auto or manual...or whether its using outside air or recirculating air.

I need to take it in to my indy shop, but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and found a solution.

Thanks.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 LR4 V8 with 59k miles. Recently the AC intermittently blows cold for several minutes and then warm for several minutes. It does this whether the settings are on auto or manual...or whether its using outside air or recirculating air.

I need to take it in to my indy shop, but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and found a solution.

Thanks.

I'd suspect slightly underfilled (perhaps due to slow leak) or failing expansion valve.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is not the case for you and it's present in all cars to some extent, but I notice that the LR4 is more sensitive than most to not being in motion. It can maintain a cool cabin just fine when stopped. But cooling a hot cabin while stationary is a lengthy process. The air comes out merely cool, not ice cold like when in motion.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is not the case for you and it's present in all cars to some extent, but I notice that the LR4 is more sensitive than most to not being in motion. It can maintain a cool cabin just fine when stopped. But cooling a hot cabin while stationary is a lengthy process. The air comes out merely cool, not ice cold like when in motion.

I had this problem pretty apparent on my 2012, and shop did an evac & recharge. Found out it was something minimal like .17lb of freon off. Full charge didn't totally eliminate it, but improved the situation greatly. A lot of cars put a separate electric condenser fan right in front to maintain cooling performance when stopped. Ours just relies on the viscous engine fan. You can sometimes even tell a difference in temp when the car is idling in drive (700? rpm) vs in park, when the ecu will command up-idle to ~1000 when the AC is running.

Michael99b

Reaction score

I have noticed a difference between in-motion and not. However, the other day I was driving for about 30 minutes, the cabin was cool, and then suddenly the air coming out of the vents was warm while I was in motion.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and ended up having to replace the compressor. Access is difficult, I believe the fender had to come off and it wasn’t cheap. Did fix the problem though.

equilibrium

Reaction score
I had a similar issue and ended up having to replace the compressor. Access is difficult, I believe the fender had to come off and it wasn’t cheap. Did fix the problem though.

+1
I had this issue on my 2013 LR4. Replacing the compressor solved the problem.

DTXRover

Reaction score
When replacing the AC Compressor did you also find it necessary to replace the drier and expansion valve as is typically recommended by the compressor mfgs? Am having the same/similar issue and both the drier and EV are difficult to access and replace and wondered if replacing just the compressor is an option. The system currently holds a charge and does cool somewhat, however isn't cooling down like it did when I originally purchased the vehicle. Have a 2010 Sport HSE.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the motor mounts.
Collapsed motor mounts will cause the engine cooling fan to get stuck on the fan shroud and not turn.
With the engine off, turn the fan by hand a see how easy it turns. Should be some slight resistance, but not a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA