AC went out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm hoping someone steals my LR3 tonight. 2006, 94,6xx miles and my A/c just quit blowing cold all the sudden. Its blowing nothing but hot air.

Took it to the Shop,and they said the compressor has given up. They quoted me 1400 bucks to replace it.

sigh.....I live in North Carolina, I spend a lot of time in my car throughout the week, and I have kids.

Anyone ever have this problem or is my LR3 a freak of nature?

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same EXACT issue with the A/C on my '05. Luckily I had the rear air to use for a few days. At the time it had 76k miles. I just crossed over to 90k. It's 99% going to be the relay fuse(or switch.. w/e you call it). It was $5.96 from my LR dealer and I replaced it in about 2 minutes. No biggie.

Although you stated your compressor went out, I wouldn't be so sure.. Could be the clutch and/or the relay fuse. The clutch is known for failing. That part is not that expensive compared to a whole new compressor. I would get a second look before you pitch $1400.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it to the Shop,and they said the compressor has given up. They quoted me 1400 bucks to replace it.

sigh.....I live in North Carolina,

What "shop". Dealer or an independent not specializing in Land Rovers?

You should get a second opinion as the exact same symptoms on mine were solved by recharging the system on which test were done finding no obvious leaks. Only a couple hundred including diagnostics.

Otherwise, I highly recommend Flying Circus in Durham. They specialize in English cars and have worked on all my land rovers since 2001

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to find that compressor for MUCH less at a parts yard...

Through my years of ownership, that hasn't been a big issue... my air will freeze you out...

Probbaly just one of those things... a co-worker has a Honda CRV and they are supposed to be the end all... she is currently putting her 4th compressor in her 2007...

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed someone said they had the rear air to use....

I have the rear air but it isn't working either! This now officially believes me to lead its some sort of electric problem!

Where is the best place to start looking for the relay or fuse? Im pretty mechanically inclined so i have checked all the basic fuses under the hood and glovebox but is there some relays i don't know about or anything?
Thanks!

Brad Ramsey

Reaction score
We had a sudden coolant leak on our '06 that was caused by a hole in the coolant hose that ran to the rear air unit. The hose is routed along the driver's side of the vehicle. It was apparently rubbing against the chassis. The section that failed had not been serviced before -- it was "as fitted" from the factory.

The tech at LR Las Vegas had not seen this type of failure before and did not recommend any extra remediation or reinforcement on the replacement hose. The hose was replaced, system recharged and we were back in business.

GeorgeMR

Reaction score
Any resolution to this? I've googled like a madman before reviving this topic, but I'm having the same issues as Steve.

cannonball55

Reaction score
digging up an old thread to see if anyone else has experienced this lately. the AC just went out on my 07 SE font and rear. Fuses are all good, and I see no evidence of damage to the system. downloaded the manuals yesterday going to dig in tonight, just wanted to see if anyone had any advice before i begin.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best place to start is having the system evacuated and recharged. Compressors are not common on this, and not sure what was being talked about above, as there is no clutch in this system.

Have what ever shop record the amount that came out of the system. There are a few places that they like to leak from, condenser, AC pressure line going to the rear evaporator being the most common. Make sure that when it gets recharged, dye is added to the system if a low amount came out.

PhyrraM

Reaction score
I'm adding this so someone reading the older post up top doesn't get side tracked.....

If the rear is working but the front is not (or the opposite), then it IS NOT a compressor or freon problem as those are shared between the systems.

If BOTH A/Cs are out, then it very well could be a compressor or freon problem.

Most automotive parts stores will sell a cheap can of freon with a gauge attached to the hose. Some might sell just the gauge. This can be used to give a GENERAL idea of the freon level in the system and is usually much less expensive than a A/C checkup if all you suspect is a leak or even if you just want a bit of background knowledge before talking to an A/C guy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72