Aftermarket compressor for suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the stock compressors have a fairly finite life span and are relatively expensive to replace. Is there something about the pressure involved that makes these compressors unique? Or something else?

I’m toying with the idea of putting a good 12V compressor and tank in anyway, and I’m wondering if it might be feasible to plumb the suspension system into that pressure line, possibly with a regulator on it if needed. But this group seems very clever, so I suspect there are reasons it is not possible. Has anyone tried?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KISS principle applies here. Keep it stock. If your rig has the hitachi compressor then I would replace with the same.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the stock compressors have a fairly finite life span and are relatively expensive to replace. Is there something about the pressure involved that makes these compressors unique? Or something else?

I’m toying with the idea of putting a good 12V compressor and tank in anyway, and I’m wondering if it might be feasible to plumb the suspension system into that pressure line, possibly with a regulator on it if needed. But this group seems very clever, so I suspect there are reasons it is not possible. Has anyone tried?

I'd keep the air systems separate. Compressors don't like altitude and they tend to get hot when the air is thin, and "at altitude" is where a lot of good trails are.

The air compressor on an LR4 isn't too expensive to replace, all things considered. You can find the stock compressors for less than $600, and it's an easy DIY job. Replacing the stock compressor every 80k miles or so is a cakewalk compared to figuring out an all-in-one system that the ECUs will be happy with (and is more reliable than stock).

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just crossed 230,000 miles on our 2011 LR4, and have yet to replace the compressor but have rebuilt it once with a $48 kit from the UK (UKARAUTO) back in Summer 2017. It took my son and I about 4 hours to figure it out, but it is still holding strong to date. Lastly, we live at 7,500 feet (Park City UT) and the climate is high desert (exceedingly dry) - and i have not seen any issues with altitude for any of our 3 current Rovers, or the 5 that we have owned over the last 20 years...

I also agree with ryan's comments... stick with the stock replacement unit. My plan was to buy a refurbished one if the self rebuild didn't work ($600-800)... All of our Rovers ECUs/electricals have been a bit finicky, so OEM is the best bet IMHO.

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV