Aftermarket Valve Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have leaky valve covers and failed PCV valves requiring replacement. I don’t have time to devote to this repair myself, but have a decent European shop close by. They gave me a price of about $1900 for both covers. The question I have was the parts. They want $950 for parts. The covers cost $500 at the dealer for both. I asked the manager at the shop and he said they use an aftermarket brand that is reinforced and superior to factory which are known to leak after time. I believe he said the brand was WSO? Not sure here and after a brief look on the internet didn’t find anything. Is anyone familiar with this brand or other aftermarket covers? This shop is reputable and honest in my experience

thanks

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the aftermarket valve covers but I personally haven't heard of OEM valve covers being the culprit in leaks but rather the valve cover gaskets that dry up, become hard and likely leak over time.

I'd personally be hesitant on dropping almost $1k on a aftermarket part with little to no benefit.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you have SCV6 or V8.

My experience is with the SCV6. I had an Indy replace the passenger valve cover, I supplied all the parts, and it was still $900 in labor if I remember right.

Regardless, and simplisticly, sometimes replacing just the PCV diaphragm doesn't fix the problem. I imagine that plays into the recommendation to replace the valve cover with the leaky gasket. Not sure about the driver side recommendation though.

As far as parts, the fuel injector seals and clips need to be replaced. Technically, the service manual states to replace the over-valve-cover fuel line as well...not to mention all of the intake gaskets if dealing with the SCV6.

Overall, I think that is a fair cost for both valve cover replacements--if he is replacing all of the other required parts as well. If you're concerned about the valve covers, ask him to order OEM, or supply parts for him

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a 2011 V8.
I'm not sure what inflation prices look like nowadays for labor and parts. Not having a supercharger will reduce labor costs (and some part costs) significantly. But, you give some back for the extra two injectors.

I'm sorry. I forgot to answer your original question. I've never heard of an updated/ better aftermarket valve cover. If you can get the name off of the estimate, and provide a link, we may be able to give some better advice on that front.

Personally, i would stick with OEM.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with OEM. I had leaky valve cover corners due to hard old valve gaskets, and replaced them with aftermarket Elwis valve cover gaskets. The PCV valves on the cover of bank 1 is super easy to replace and are under $30 diy aftermarket parts.

Have you done your timing chain yet? I only ask, because doing the valve cover gaskets is more than half way through to getting your chains done. It would be a shame to redo all this work a year or 2 later.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with OEM. I had leaky valve cover corners due to hard old valve gaskets, and replaced them with aftermarket Elwis valve cover gaskets. The PCV valves on the cover of bank 1 is super easy to replace and are under $30 diy aftermarket parts.

Have you done your timing chain yet? I only ask, because doing the valve cover gaskets is more than half way through to getting your chains done. It would be a shame to redo all this work a year or 2 later.
I haven‘t done the chains yet thanks to 5k oil changes by first owner. That may be good advice though to just get those done…

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA