Air Bag (suspension) Rubber cover/sleeve.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aragno

Reaction score
Hello... first post (and yes I have searched :) ) for this topic but no luck.

I have a 2006 LR3 V8 HSE - no mods.
If you look at the rear airbag of the suspension you will see a metal tube which extends when the airbag inflates. It is then having a rubber "sleeve" of sorts.

Anyone know how to replace this?? Mine is damaged (some parts of stuck inside the meal tube I mentioned above) and on others simply torn.

Thanks!
-Trey

Trynian

Reaction score
If you are talking about the rubber gator dust cover it costs about $70 and is an easy job to replace but you have to release the air in the bag.

Lower the car to acess let it go to sleep. jack up the so that wheel hangs down. Undo the shock bolt at bottom. release the air in the shock by loosening the green line going in at the top.

You can then slide the new boot on. It come in two pieces one for the top and the big one at the bottom. It is easy to slide the top one up into place since it stretches. There is a metal clamp that you need a special tool for that you can get at any auto store. You can also tighten it with a pare of dikes but the tool works better. If it comes with a lower clamp leave that off it will just cause it to get caught again in the air shock. I think the new ones dont have it in the kit.

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery as well.

Whenever I jack up my 3 to kind of get under it or fool with the air suspension, I remove the negative battery cable.

Doing this seems to pretty much **** the air system release valves and more importantly the auto level program that goes into play when the ignition is off.

The auto level function seems to have a random wakeup ability and when it senses the jacking, it often reacts by releasing air, and sometimes not, and that is the real problem - not predictable.

You should notice an air release when after you have finished, removed all your jacks and supports, that when you connect the battery back up, within seconds, (the time it takes for the computer to wake up), there is a loud hiss and the 3 settles, sometimes a little, sometimes alot. That is why you want to have everything out from under the 3 including yourself.

aragno

Reaction score
If you are talking about the rubber gator dust cover it costs about $70 and is an easy job to replace but you have to release the air in the bag.

Lower the car to acess let it go to sleep. jack up the so that wheel hangs down. Undo the shock bolt at bottom. release the air in the shock by loosening the green line going in at the top.

You can then slide the new boot on. It come in two pieces one for the top and the big one at the bottom. It is easy to slide the top one up into place since it stretches. There is a metal clamp that you need a special tool for that you can get at any auto store. You can also tighten it with a pare of dikes but the tool works better. If it comes with a lower clamp leave that off it will just cause it to get caught again in the air shock. I think the new ones dont have it in the kit.

I believe this is precisely what I am talking about. Any clue what part number is or a place to purchase online?! Thanks for you quick assistance.

Trynian

Reaction score
I believe this is precisely what I am talking about. Any clue what part number is or a place to purchase online?! Thanks for you quick assistance.

The part number is 5B752A I got mine from the dealer, I don't know if it is available online anywhere other then a dealer online service like http://saclandrover.niello.com/parts.php

You just have to send a parts request.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I jack up my 3 to kind of get under it or fool with the air suspension, I remove the negative battery cable.

Old thread but I didn't find it to be fully exhaustive on info. I was only able to find one item online and it's not the "genuine" part. Not that oem isn't good enough, but I do like to find both for comparing. I'd rather do this only once in 100k miles, not more times for a cheaper part made to lesser quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141470821201

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, it is two years old, and the ebay link will be expired in weeks. Are you looking for parts?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knucklehead question but is this an internal part to the original struts that they all came with from the get go?... Or is this an upgrade that some have elected to purchase?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut