Air Compressor tests?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kilkenny

Reaction score
So I've got 5 LR3's I am looking at locally. 2006-2008. I've purchased plenty of used cars in my lifetime and know the usual stuff to look for. What I am not sure about is the air suspension.

I've test driven all of them. Some of them let out air when you turn the car off, some don't. Is there any set way this is supposed to happen? Can you detect any bad or failing air suspension components beforehand? Like if I were to bring it in for inspection? Or will that be impossible to determine?

How noisy should the compressor be?

I'd like to try to buy the one that has the most life left in the suspension, but maybe I'm wishing for something that is impossible to determine?

Thanks.

Delray

Reaction score
Great questions. I am starting to wonder if everyone has gone to a different forum? Lots of questions, very few answers. I have also wondered about normal compressor behavior and tried to search it out with no luck.

So I've got 5 LR3's I am looking at locally. 2006-2008. I've purchased plenty of used cars in my lifetime and know the usual stuff to look for. What I am not sure about is the air suspension.

I've test driven all of them. Some of them let out air when you turn the car off, some don't. Is there any set way this is supposed to happen? Can you detect any bad or failing air suspension components beforehand? Like if I were to bring it in for inspection? Or will that be impossible to determine?

How noisy should the compressor be?

I'd like to try to buy the one that has the most life left in the suspension, but maybe I'm wishing for something that is impossible to determine?

Thanks.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to see the forum die so I'll throw out some comments based on my continual '05 HSE ownership from November '05 and about 115,000 miles of driving. All of this is based on my experience, some repair work that I or the dealer have done and reading the online technical/repair manual

The LR3 air suspension is no where near as problematic as that of the older Range Rovers. It helps to have an understanding of the comments of the system. It's been a while since i read the manual and I can send you the file if you are really interested but here is a summary that should be good enough for anyone looking at a used LR3.

Computer Control Modules and associated sensors and valve block assemblies: Are there any warning lights lit on the dash? Do the raise and lower modes work? If you answered no and yes you can move on. Any other answers than stay away from this unit.

Air Compressor: Start the car with the drivers window down. Do you hear the compressor thumping? It's under the left rear passenger door threshold. Don't hear it? Raise the suspension. The compressor should start. The compressor either works or it doesn't it's fairly loud if the window is open or you are standing outside. It's when you STOP hearing it that you have a problem. The very first compressors were lasting about 3 weeks to 3 months, generation 2 units about 50,000 miles or five years. The latest units (I think it is an AWK unit which I have not yet installed, (about $750.00)) are supposed to be really reliable.

Suspension Damper Modules and Lines: For some reason that no one has been able to explain, the right front unit "wears" out faster. How can you tell? It will feel like a bad shock on the right front, a slightly greater jounce or dip when you hit a bump or it will continually leak down more on the right front that any other corner. I had both conditions and replaced both front units and all front control arms at 88,000 miles. It drives like an absolutely brand new vehicle. Money well spent versus trading in.

If I were looking at buying a used LR3, I would start by simply turning the key. If all the warning lights turn off, about 97% of your potential problems are behind you. The other things to check on/worry about have been widely researched and sorted. Are the front suspension control arms solid, if not it's not a difficult repair but factor that in to the price. Has the thermostat been replaced? Do all of the HVAC controls work? Do the door locks all work. Does the spare tire winch work?

There were some growing pains with the '05's and maybe early '06's but they would have all been addressed by now. The good news is that if there is something wrong with an LR3 it will immediately let you know. The bad news is that it's going to more expensive to repair and with a limited number of places that can do those repairs.

Delray

Reaction score
Thanks KWLR3,
my '05 with 107k will sometimes start without the compressor starting. It is at the proper height though. Suppose that is normal if it has recently run? I noticed after leaving it sit for 4 days the front end sat lower. Is that normal...is that access height? No warning lights. Thnx.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine let's air out sometimes after I turn it off, other people refer to it as farting. I think it is just leveling itself.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension will re-level after you turn the key off, also after you empty the cargo bay of heavy items. I guess the compressor wont start every time you turn the key, but if it's sat more than a couple of hours it will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV