Air Suspension Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Randomly when I park my LR4 and get out of the car and shut the door, the air suspension automatically adjusts the car from 'normal' to 'access' height. It doesn't do this all the time however, and I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. I don't have any Terrain Response modes enabled.

From what I can gather from the manual, I don't think this is normal behavior. Or am I missing something? Just wanted to check in before going into the dealer.

Otherwise, the LR4 has been driving like a dream.

Thanks!
-Willie :confused:

aesopian

Reaction score
Same experience with mine. My assumption is this occurs to relieve pressure on the system.

CHT

Reaction score
Same experience with mine. My assumption is this occurs to relieve pressure on the system.

Same here. I think the system just releases pressure. Access height is essentially the suspension depressurized (the shock absorption dampening is much less). Does cause a bit of surprise to passengers unfamiliar with the car. Curious to hear what the dealer says.

marcoVU

Reaction score
Does the same here. I am with you guys that it is just to relieve pressure. I know I'd rather have than than the pressure on the system all of the time because I know the things are built well and all, but less stress means less likely to break IMO.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's truly dropping to access height, that would not be normal and would indicate a problem. The self leveling you can often observe shortly after you park and close the doors - meaning one or more corners may drop a little to even out the suspensions - is normal behavior for any Land Rover with EAS (and the source of endless giggles and fart jokes by my 5-year old daughter...) But there is a big difference between self leveling at normal height and dropping all the way to access height. Do you park on a level surface?

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob, I think your distinction between 'self leveling' and dropping to access height is an important one. You are probably right. I just assumed it was dropping to access height because I didn't realize there was a self leveling behavior possible. I'll pay more attention to it over the next few days but I'll still ring the dealer just to see what they have to say.

Thanks. -Willie

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Does not seem to be setting to access height though, sometimes its one corner, or front/back only that "settles" and I assume it is simply dumping excess pressure from the system

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a feature of our "Active Suspension" It consistently adjusts up or down depending on terrain and when your parked. My LR3 does the same and so did my VW Touareg that had Air Suspension.

just call it a feature!

nolift911

Reaction score
New to the LR4 and found up under the rear bumper these massive swinging solid metal pendulum type devices on each side - are these for leveling? Wondering what these weigh...?? Have to be like 20 lbs each...

Anyone else notice these beasts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV