Alert beeps and fob/locking issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem: Over the past few days, my MY11 LR4 emits the two brief Euro-sounding alert beeps a few seconds after I leave the vehicle and press the lock button on the key fob. The exterior lights flash as expected and the alarm arms (red flashes in dash) but the driver's door won't lock (all other doors do lock). When I pull on the driver's door handle the door opens and the alarm sounds until I silence it with the fob. On a trip to the bank just now I managed to lock all the doors with the fob, but when I returned, the fob unlock button would only trigger a feeble click in the door and it would not unlock. Strangely, I could use the rear hatch release button on the fob to open that rear hatch. I had to use the foldaway key to remove the handle cover and access the keyhole to open the driver's door.

At first I thought it was related to the fact that I had disabled the two-stage unlocking feature, but the issue persisted when I re-enabled that. Admittedly this was a wild-ass guess but I wanted to rule it out.

I also suspected a weak battery in my everyday fob, but the issue persists when I use my backup fob. Main vehicle battery was replaced by dealer within the last year. I checked to make sure the hood was securely latched and that all doors were fully closed before pressing the fob's lock button. I also confirmed that the vehicle was firmly in Park and fully shutdown.

Did I somehow enable a feature that is causing this? I am more than happy to be the first person to laugh at myself if so, but for now this is puzzling.

Thanks for any ideas!

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only get the two beeps if the keys are in the car or if the keys are not in range of the car.

I do find it's weird I can't lock it if the keys are in the house.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd behavior continues and is more consistent now. Was on a weekend road trip and didn't have a chance to do the standard battery disconnect but will try that next.

Update: Battery disconnect didn't do anything to fix the issue although I did learn now to reset the auto-raise function on the power windows after reconnecting the battery (thanks danhiggins). Indy shop has been contacted.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final update: Problem was traced to a faulty latch mechanism. Had it replaced along with assorted cables (just to be safe as long as door panel was off anyway). Parts totaled just under $150 but $300 labor and shop fees (indy).

Glad to have it fixed. It's the simple things in life you treasure...like a car door unlocking reliably every time.

I am rationalizing that this is the first non-warranty repair I've needed in the 19 months I've owned it so not too bad from that perspective.

Tom Davis

Reaction score
CPEREZ do you remember what parts had to be replaced. I’m having the same issue with my 13 LR4 and hoping to try to fix it myself. Thanks

TD

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hood latch sensor? I just clipped the wires and tied them together years ago.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hood latch sensor? I just clipped the wires and tied them together years ago.

Im having the hood latch issue where the alarm will just randomly go off in the middle of the night and it will insist the hood is open. Could you explain what wires you tied together and where they are located because I don’t want to replace the alarm sensor.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side front of hood where the metal U is. There is a corresponding latch. Take the wire connector out and jump the connections with a paper clip and tape or be all professional and use some wire.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick