Alignment knowledge, need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the alignment procedures for this vehicle? Some friends of mine are mechanics at a VW dealer and are both certified on the Taureg. They have some nice equipment there, but are not familiar with the LR3 as far as alignment. I told them that I did not know if there were special tools (calibration) equipment necessary to do an alignment with the air suspension. They both assume their is because the Taureg has a tool for that alone. Has anyone had a local shop do it? Thanks.

TRD4ME

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the alignment procedures for this vehicle? Some friends of mine are mechanics at a VW dealer and are both certified on the Taureg. They have some nice equipment there, but are not familiar with the LR3 as far as alignment. I told them that I did not know if there were special tools (calibration) equipment necessary to do an alignment with the air suspension. They both assume their is because the Taureg has a tool for that alone. Has anyone had a local shop do it? Thanks.

A factory scantool (testbook) is required to put the vehicle in tight tolerance mode for any alignment procedures.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A factory scantool (testbook) is required to put the vehicle in tight tolerance mode for any alignment procedures.

That sucks major a$$!!! I hate those expensive tools that allow dealers to justify charging you 10 times more that it should be....

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently been quoted $149, $169, and $269 by 3 different local Land Rover dealers for basic wheel alignment.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long Response, desriptive

Uneven tire wear.
The steering alignment geometry of certain vehicles may experience some bushing settlement during early vehicle life. Following initial production geometry setting, this settling may alter the geometry settings outside of normal tolerance,
which may in turn increase tire wear.

Revised geometry settings introduced after 6A403382 compensate for this situation.
NOTE: This situation is not experienced on all vehicles. Toe sensitivity may be attributed to other factors.

CAUTION: Retailers who sublet alignment to outside shops must provide the information in this bulletin to the alignment facility to ensure proper settings when uneven tire wear symptoms are being addressed. Additionally all vehicles equipped with EAS sent for sublet alignment MUST have been placed in the "tight tolerance" geometry setting mode prior to delivery using IDS.

Action: Should a customer express a specific concern of uneven tire wear, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to adjust the vehicle geometry to the "target" settings noted below. NOTE: In other situations requiring geometry adjustment, where a specific concern of uneven tire wear is not expressed or diagnosed, the geometry dimensions in the workshop manual should be used. A specific set of "target" geometry data is provided in this bulletin for use in vehicles where the geometry needs to be adjusted to correct an uneven tire wear concern.

PARTS:
No parts required

WARRANTY:
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.

NOTE: The revision to the time in this bulletin is the result of the introduction of the new IDS "tight tolerance" geometry setting mode for suspension adjustments. This simple IDS process replaces and eliminates the requirement to perform a suspension calibration (1.1 hrs) in association with the alignment process. Refer to Technical Bulletin LA204-007 for additional information about the geometry setting mode. DDW requires the use of causal part numbers.
Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
Description SRO Time
(Hours)
Condition
Code Causal Part
Place vehicle in "tight tolerance"
mode using IDS and align suspension
geometry
57.65.04 1.80 W6 ALGN4W

Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
ALIGN SUSPENSION GEOMETRY

1. If the vehicle has Electronic Air Suspension (EAS), refer to Technical Bulletin LA204-007, connect IDS to the vehicle and place the Electronic Air Suspension (EAS), into "tight tolerance" geometry setting mode.

NOTE: A small number of coil sprung vehicles were imported into North America at the very start of LR3 importation. Step 2 is included in the event that such a vehicle requires suspension alignment.

2. If the vehicle has coil spring suspension, perform the following steps to ensure that the equivalent of a full tank of gasoline weight is present in the vehicle when the alignment process is performed:
NOTE: LR3 fuel tank capacity is 22.7 US gallons (86.3 litres). A full LR3 fuel tank weighs approximately 152 lbs (69 kg).
• Accurately determine the volume of fuel in the tank.
• If the tank is not full, calculate the weight of the fuel in the tank using one of the following formulas:
o Multiply the number of US gallons of fuel by 6.7 to equal total pounds of fuel.
o Multiply the number of liters of fuel by 0.8 to equal total kg of fuel.
NOTE: Any weight equivalent placed into the load space area must be evenly distributed at the front and the right hand side of the load space.
• Calculate the weight equivalent that must be added to the load space area by subtracting the total amount of fuel currently in the tank from the LR3 fuel tank capacity of 152 lbs. (69 kg).
NOTE: Vehicles that have any of the front or rear, upper or lower control arm bushings changed must complete a ten mile road test before having the geometry checked and adjusted if necessary.
The road test will allow the suspension to settle.

NOTE: GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ LA – LR3 > Workshop Manuals > Bookmark "Chassis/Suspension/204-00: Suspension System – General Information" Link "Four-Wheel Alignment (57.65.04)"

CAUTION: GTR identifies an alignment specification range.
The exact "TARGET SPECIFICATIONS" in the table below should be used on vehicles that have experienced uneven tire wear.
When setting suspension geometry after front or rear/upper or lower control arm bushing replacement, the rear toe should be set to the TARGET SPECIFICATION in the table.

3. Refer to GTR section 204-00 Four-Wheel Alignment operation 57.65.04 and adjust the front and rear wheel alignment to the "TARGET" specification figures noted in the table below:
TOE ADJUSTMENT
TARGET
SPECIFICATIONS
(decimal degrees)
Front total toe + 0.03
Left-hand rear toe + 0.18
Right-hand rear toe + 0.18
Rear total toe + 0.36

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the responses. looks like im gonna have to bite the bullet and get the stealer to do the alignment. noone has the scantool to put it in the "tight tolerance" as described. Alldata confirms this procedure. I had the vehicle aligned at 15K and am now at 25K but still see significant wear on the inside of the rear tires. I just swapped to new tires and dont want this to happen again.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the responses. looks like im gonna have to bite the bullet and get the stealer to do the alignment. noone has the scantool to put it in the "tight tolerance" as described. Alldata confirms this procedure. I had the vehicle aligned at 15K and am now at 25K but still see significant wear on the inside of the rear tires. I just swapped to new tires and dont want this to happen again.

10k miles... Not too bad actually... Tire manufactures reccomend a yearly alignment for most cars, but a LR is not yout typical vehicle... So I think you're actually okay...

I know that I drive a little more aggresively in the LR versus my BMW since I know I can "jump over" curbs and other obstacles... I am not sure if you are the same, but I wouldn't be too upset doing a yearly alignment... Especially here in NM, we have some pretty carppy roads that aren;t in great shape, so hitting *** holes and other junk in the road is more of the norm....

Jonathan

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my alignment checked quarterly or before major trips (like to Utah) and after certain types off roading, like the 150+ miles of washboard in Death Valley.

Nice post MustBeAudi!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mustbeaudi, LR Farmington Hills farms out their alignments to Belle Tire. I think it's $80 or so. I know the Novi Belle Tire can do it, and so does the Plymouth one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi