All Weather or Snow Tires ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in Chicago, we generally have really crappy roads and a fair amount of snow and frigid temps in the winter.

I'm torn between getting either a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3) or just an all year round set of all weather tires (Nokian WR G3).

If the WR's are good enough for the snow in Chicago (not as much as New England for example), will I be wasting my time swapping to winters each season vs just using the WR's all year round ?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove through some of the nasty deep stuff over the past few winters with the stock craptastic Contis. In this area I really don't think you need dedicated snow tires for the amount and frequency here. I'd say you'd be fine with the Nokian WR G3. <oh no, not another tire thread ;)>

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For snow traction in that location you will likely be fine with WR G3. What I find is the fair weather performance of all weather tires lacking (noise, handling, wear). A tire such as the Michelin Defender LTX M/S is much superior in these conditions. YMMV. good luck.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally if I end up having to do more winter driving in Chicago (thank goodness I don't) I'd be looking at moving down to 18s to get the taller/stronger sidewall. Those potholes are epic in the Chicago winter wonderland.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True about the potholes. They are brutal. I find the factory 255 55 19's are enough to handle them. I may stick with this size for the winter and use 20" in the summer (if of course I decide to use a dedicated winter tire).

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True about the potholes. They are brutal. I find the factory 255 55 19's are enough to handle them. I may stick with this size for the winter and use 20" in the summer (if of course I decide to use a dedicated winter tire).

Yeah, the tires handle them. The bushings and control arms, I'm not so sure.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run the WR G3's year round in the mid-atlantic region. We see less snow but probably a similar mix of crappy conditions and they perform well. Can you still find G3's or have they been replaced by the G4's which have a totally different tread pattern?

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point about the G3
I probably should have said G4

Would the G4 perform better in winter with no snow than the Hakka? Or is the Hakka a better overall winter tire regardless of snow

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the G4 perform better in winter with no snow than the Hakka? Or is the Hakka a better overall winter tire regardless of snow

The G4 is an excellent all-weather tire and is snowflake-rated for winter use. I had (and loved) a set of G3 and remain a big fan. The Hakka is widely acclaimed as one of the best snow tires available if your seasonal needs are more extreme.

IMO, the G4 would be a great all-around choice for the conditions you described, especially if you want to avoid seasonal tire changes but not make major performance compromises.

E1966

Reaction score
Living in Chicago, we generally have really crappy roads and a fair amount of snow and frigid temps in the winter.

I'm torn between getting either a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3) or just an all year round set of all weather tires (Nokian WR G3).

If the WR's are good enough for the snow in Chicago (not as much as New England for example), will I be wasting my time swapping to winters each season vs just using the WR's all year round ?

> stick to all weather tires. not worth switching tires in my opinion. Secondly tires age with time and like anything else the rubber becomes dry and if you shelf them for any amount of time in the garage.... where temperature isn't controlled yearround expect those tires to dry up and wear quickly.