Anti-Freeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently changed my t-stat and lost more than enough coolant from detaching hose in the process. I poured the remaining coolant back into the anti-freeze tank and now I'm a bit low from the coolant I lost. I am the second owner of the truck and haven't done any coolant flushes so I'm not sure of the proper anti-freeze brand/mix to top the tank off with? The current anti-freeze color is ORANGE. I read on other LR forums that GM Dex-Cool isn't sufficient in that it causes aluminum to corrode. Is this correct? I'm very picky about what goes into my vehicle and don't want to add the incorrect type of coolant. Would this be sufficient? It states, "Amber color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping off. Features a phosphate-free and silicate-free formula."

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...earch&itemIdentifier=513652_0_0_&viewAll=true

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the coolant is the GM brand Dex-Cool. The proper mix is 50/50 mixed with distilled water.

I know that a lot of people don't like Dex-Cool - especially that it corrodes... In my D2 (which also uses Dex-Cool), the drain and fill cycle is 2 years. In the LR3, the recommend is 10 years. It sounds like the LR3 may have more corrosion resistant hoses/radiator?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can look in the owners manual and I believe it says: Texaco XLC, with one part antifreeze to one part water for protection down to -33°F (-36°C). Last time I looked for it, I got it from the dealer.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Havoline/Texaco XLC I believe is also Dex-Cool.

If you look at auto parts stores or even Walmart, it should be there. They'll have maybe one or two facings of it versus more of the green stuff.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the orange stuff, Dexcool I guess to top off. About 10k miles, all good knock on wood.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR dealer sells Valvoline ZEREX dex-cool formula for our LR3 as a appropriate fluid.I here are a few differ at bottle colors , but this particular is in silver 1 gallon containers . I can check exact specs of the battle tomorrow.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP PLEASE: I added the antifreeze to the "Cold Fill Range" and drove it down the road and noticed the engine temp gauge was at red. I pulled back into the garage and the antifreeze tank was filled to the brim. What is causing this and should I just drain the coolant out and fill it back up, but with LESS fluid?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever happened in this situation? Sounds kinda scary...

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Longer Own

Hey bud, I sold my LR3 just before 100k miles in August. Although I miss it, I'm glad I got out from under the costly maintenance. Had to spend $1700 to have hoses, t stat, housing, coolant, and a gasket replaced. I'm driving a 2007 G35x sedan now. Selling ALREADY. Getting into a lifted Yukon Denali.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...sounds like a little too much money for the (relatively cheap) parts you list above. Thanks for the follow-up. Enjoy the Yukon Denali. I always liked the looks of those rigs, too.

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV