Any Bosch 4306 Platinum plus 2 spark plug reviews for the 4.0 & 4.6 engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been several years running Champion plugs and was told back in 2000 to only use Champion plugs made especially for and only sold at LR dealerships. I say BS to that as Champs from auto parts stores look and functioned identically and at 1/3 the cost.

I did not find any different brands of spark plugs reviews on this forum hence my question.

Bosch surface gap with the two grounding electrodes of Yttirum alloy (?) plus platinum center electrode, what's not to like over the standard Champion plug? Surface spark exposed radially vs up and down plus parically shielded by the side grounding electrode hence why "registered plugs" were done for a reason. Comments welcomed including other brand options, thanks......~~=o&o>......

partsguru

Reaction score
i bought the Bosch and E3 at the same time and opted for the E3. Still have the Bosch to try, but the E3 plugs are burning clean ( only 190,000 miles! ).
Logically, they seem to be more “ bullet-proof “/ Rover-worthy as the ground can find a larger path for contact, rather than the single small electrode. I seem to remember that type used in aircraft listings when i first saw them - good enough for the Rover! In almost 50 years in auto parts, I never sold any to anyone else. I did run a set in my stroked Harley pan head with a magneto ( another “Champion only “ recommended engine, but I like to experiment!). Always ran perfectly clean and never any fouling in about 3 years on same plugs. Sold it with same plugs.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because LR mentions what to use it's not the only and best choice. Pick anti-freeze, depending on who is supplying the cheapest coolant is what LR recommends. Visiting a dealership to chat with the service writer as well a couple mechanics as personal friends. Coolant of the month could be orange, red, yellow or green depending on the bulk barrel last shipped. LR again with type of oil to use in the 5 spd D1 I own, ATF to gear oil to engine oil depending on the day of the week.
Hell I can guess better. Honda motorcycle racing transmission oil with all the special high shear additives has been working great with synchros and operation the past 84K miles of use rather hard use behind a warmed over 4.6, a someday 4.9 arm with Top Hat liners the next bullet Street only Disco setup to corner, Sierra mountains and passes, Gold Country exploring.
Ported cast iron exh. manifolds, high flow Cats, Borla Cat back exh. Mark Adams "Tornado" chip. Sounds like a 298 with Glaspacks stirring the stick. Milled out 1 1/2" aluminum spacer for under the ram tube housing, 4 hole Bosch injectors within 3/4% flow, 3.0 Bar regulator.

Spark plugs, i'm a surface gap person like we installed rebuilding 2800 Pratt & Whitney round engines in my aviation field. Haven't seen an engine yet certified to run side electrode ground plugs with only surface gap approved.

Bosch Platinum Plus or better yet liking the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs having surface gap.
Disco a parked toy besides your the only person in six months this one reply, others must have engines not requiring spark plugs? Haven't checked the + 4 plugs if in the LR heat range? Bosch Platinum 2 I recall for the 4.0 & 4.6 LR engines.

Holding at 12 bikes all keepers, no Harleys but have a soft spot for the Shovelhead. Extrude Hone process after a mild (not crazy) porting waking up the Shovels a little then leave them alone.
Magnetos hell yeah Matchless 500 and 600 thumper at the hut. Nortons, BMW's, Matchless, two Honda thumpers.

BTW, 2020 was dead (China Virus) but on again the 2021 the Hollister 4th July rally. Dad was there in 47 and the 50th in 97, we rode together up intil 01, RIP 8-11-02 couldn't ride Hollister in 02. I went solo, stopped by dad's, saw tears he wanted to ride but couldn't. He road almost daily age 14 to 80, to work year round rain or shine. Triumph and Matchless thumpers his thing.
Pushing to reassemble after taken apart to transport 84 XL600 Honda thumper garage queen find. Street only here. Had to go to Arizona to pick it up (49 sytate) and back to the S.F. Bay area a 1,743 mile two day road trip from hell to get that bike. Different bike each year to Hollister I ride, Honda this year, R90s 2022.
Good to hear from another wrench and DIY person. Ride safe.....~~=o&o>......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut